The secret is about to come out. Our days in Qatar are numbered. I haven't fully accepted that reality. In fact, if the papers aren't fully signed, I don't believe it. However, there is a strong hint, and with it comes sheer panic. So many thoughts running through my mind. What have I not accomplished in the past 6 years while living in the Middle East? Geesh, just saying I have lived in the M.E. for SIX YEARS is enough to bring panic. I mean really, who does that?
Believe it or not, there are still a few things left undone. However, I have come to realize that these save-it-for-another-day activities are gifts. Ones that make you want to return again one day. In fact, Qatar will surely be on my list of visits in the future just because if all the promises come true, I want to see it. All the construction I painfully endure each day must be worth something. I am coming back to get my reward, which must be great. Oh, it better be great.
One dying wish I had was to return to the sands of the Middle East. A little known fact (or unknown for those who haven't lived in more than one GCC country, which is most people, I understand, because no one is that crazy) is Doha deserts suck. This is completely obvious when you compare Qatar to the U.A.E. sands. Doha terrain is mostly hard with nasty jagged rocks that are just begging to rip your tires apart. On the other side, just outside of Dubai, you will experience gorgeous, red, white, and brown sands that melt and warm your feet as you walk. It is divine in the world of sands.
When Axel and I got to Doha and started exploring the terrain here we both said, 'Are you kidding?' That's it? Ick. Nothing about it was beautiful. Nothing. We were really stretching to find redeeming qualities, but it was just plain crap. The beige boring kind that inspires all of the Doha architecture (read: falling and decaying buildings in every shape and size).


In all honestly, the sands made me appreciate this unique experience that much more. The desert does have its own sense of beauty. We complain about the lack of trees (read: oxygen) but there is something unique and stunning about an untouched mound of red desert sand. As long as you don't get a mouth full of it...or in your underwear...or up your nose...or in your eyes...or through your hair, it is a fabulous landscape representing serenity and warmth (read:oppressive heat from April to November).

My little bedouin
Believe it or not, there are still a few things left undone. However, I have come to realize that these save-it-for-another-day activities are gifts. Ones that make you want to return again one day. In fact, Qatar will surely be on my list of visits in the future just because if all the promises come true, I want to see it. All the construction I painfully endure each day must be worth something. I am coming back to get my reward, which must be great. Oh, it better be great.
One dying wish I had was to return to the sands of the Middle East. A little known fact (or unknown for those who haven't lived in more than one GCC country, which is most people, I understand, because no one is that crazy) is Doha deserts suck. This is completely obvious when you compare Qatar to the U.A.E. sands. Doha terrain is mostly hard with nasty jagged rocks that are just begging to rip your tires apart. On the other side, just outside of Dubai, you will experience gorgeous, red, white, and brown sands that melt and warm your feet as you walk. It is divine in the world of sands.
When Axel and I got to Doha and started exploring the terrain here we both said, 'Are you kidding?' That's it? Ick. Nothing about it was beautiful. Nothing. We were really stretching to find redeeming qualities, but it was just plain crap. The beige boring kind that inspires all of the Doha architecture (read: falling and decaying buildings in every shape and size).
But, now is the moment to plea for my forgiveness. Redemption time. After living in Doha for 3 1/2 years we finally found a patch of beauty. Real, Arabian, brought-in-from-the-Saudi-desert sands. It was perfect, gorgeous, thin, and delicious (and yes, I know it was because I personally sucked back at least 1 gallon all on my own).


What made this sand even more desirable was the fact that it would hummmmm, as you ran, slid, rolled down the hill. Hence the name, singing sand dunes. It was unique and slightly freaky (not really, but being close to Halloween and all, let our imaginations run wild. Possessed sands, haunted by angry camels and desert spiders. It works.)
In all honestly, the sands made me appreciate this unique experience that much more. The desert does have its own sense of beauty. We complain about the lack of trees (read: oxygen) but there is something unique and stunning about an untouched mound of red desert sand. As long as you don't get a mouth full of it...or in your underwear...or up your nose...or in your eyes...or through your hair, it is a fabulous landscape representing serenity and warmth (read:oppressive heat from April to November).
Our friend and soon-to-be Mormon missionary. If he goes Stateside, he may want to keep this picture at bay. You know, to avoid any confusion
The kids played and rolled throughout the sand. Really, what kid wouldn't? It is the largest sandbox imaginable. You can throw it, and rarely will people yell. You can also try to eat it when your parents aren't looking. Which is usually only done once. ever.
The night was topped off with an awesome BBQ made with gross chicken hot dogs and fake marshmallows. This is when we really miss pork. The kids scarfed down loads of condiments (because mom just happened to find the only jar of relish offered in all of Doha) smeared on a nasty hot dog bun that was twice the size of the hot dog. They didn't seem to care one bit because the dunes were hopping with flashlights and kids. It was a dream come true.
Photos that were taken at night. There was no doctoring of these pictures. I swear. It was just the one time my camera, and the scenery worked together. It may be the only time my camera and the scenery worked together, but I am lov'n the extraterrestrial look.
The night was perfect, and spent with great friends. The kids went home tired, full, and dirty. A great memory to keep in our pockets the next time we miss the hot desert sun (when I say hot, I mean warm because frankly, after living through at least 5 Middle Eastern summers, I have learned to hate the HOT desert sun, and have learned to tolerate the warm one). But honestly, digressions aside, this experience has been an Arabian treasure.
















1 comment:
glad your blogging again. People live through your life and love to do that.
Post a Comment