Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Move


I am quite amazed at how moving is such a normal part of my life. It seems to appear on my to do list often. You know like, 1. Buy milk, 2. Visit school, 3. Make bread, 4. Pick up everything I own, stuff it in a van, and move it across town. We moved exactly a year ago--to the day. My life is never boring.

Oddly enough, this move was rather easy. I think it was because I could see the end result much faster than putting everything on a crate, shipping it across the world and then waiting 3 months for customs to approve. This move was a snap.

The total time was almost a week. This is how it was executed:

1. Grab Gotham and Sarita and tear down everything in sight.


2. Throw everything that isn't nailed down in the back of our van.

3. Ask Gotham to put his life at risk to paint our new 1000 foot ceiling walls.


4. Hire Pakistani laborers (from Waziristan--Taliban territory) to bring all the heavy items and hope they don't do something radical because we didn't fully respect the one Quran we own during the move.
5. Drag children from House A to House B 100 times until they collapse. Once they fall over, they will be less of a distraction. Prime moving time.
We are fairly settled and like this house a lot. Other than the 25 day wait for an internet connection, I could do this again. Ugh, and most likely will sooner than I expect.....

No comments: