Sunday, October 3, 2010

On the Move


Yesterday was the big moving day. It has been 10 days of moving. Fill van, drive to new house, empty, and drive back home--repeat 1000 times. It is truly amazing all the stuff you can fit in a minivan.


We have finally counted the number of times we have moved since we have been married--13 moves in 13 years. Sigh. To be optimistic, I feel it is a wonderful opportunity to reevaluate all I own and purge. You would think I would be better at purging. It is tough to let go of the 100 pounds of my teen journals, so there I am, moving it and storing it yet again.

Since this move has been long and drawn out (not to mention done completely on our own, no professional moving company bubble wrapping my toilet paper this time), it has been difficult to find anything. I went to church on Friday with a potluck of items, and oddly, it was one of my most complimented outfits. Asa had no shoes, Dona wore Crocs with her dress and Axel wore what was in his suitcase from the night before. Underwear was also utilized for the second time.

The biggest problem is what is awaiting for us in the new home. Items were thrown in boxes with no organization whatsoever. It has already become a treasure hunt for the baby bottle, the children's PE uniform, and my make-up. It is so humbling to be stripped of all you own. I have lost count to how many favors I have asked. Thank goodness for great neighbors!



We are at the old home cleaning right now. Asa and Dona have been the best moving mates ever. They can play with Daddy's toolbox for hours! Plus, they are both content to be without clothing when their clothing became all wet from an impromptu shower. Hours of fun.

This move was the right thing to do though. Although we liked our compound, the new one has infinitely more room, the clubhouse feels like a resort, and it is 2 minutes from both the airport and Axel's work. It was the right thing to do. Painful, but right.

3 comments:

Linsey said...

Moving yourself? UGH! Glad it's over for you. Good luck finding everything.

Dianna said...

Oh, I could feel the moving agony with every word I read! I will miss seeing those naked kids running around across our mini street. Enjoy the wide open spaces of the new compound. We will miss you A LOT!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

oh my! I am soo curious as to what this outfit looks like. Honestly, it sounds like my life right now. Having lived in a hotel...moving our stuff back into a house in a few car loads...not being able to find anything AT ALL! I'm sure I'm winning the mother of the year award...I have an entire blog I started dedicated to the lost homework, lost shoes and lost everything. I hope you LOVE your new house. I think you will be very happy in AlFardan 1...lots more time with the hubs. It has made all the difference in our life that David doesnn't have to drive 45 minutes to an hour for work. We'll keep the 20 minute commute for sure that this new place offers!