Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Greek Wrap-up

Greek deserves more than 3 posts, but in order to keep up with my life, I must wrap things up. The days are moving quicker and the to-do list is getting longer. As I am sure Dionysis would have said (had the expression exist in his day), 'The show must go on'. My show has less nudity and wine, and therefore, could seem a lot less exciting but I do have a few things to say these days. Surprising, I know.


I will sum up the finest parts of Greece (according to someone who has been in the Middle East far too long):

1. An artist's paradise.

Axel found inspiration at almost every corner. It was fabulous to be in a country that appreciates art and doesn't limit it to the Koran. Sometimes naked bodies are just plain beautiful.


Axel appreciating a painting on this Grecian door. Where can one find these in Doha?
Axel finally visited a country with real cypress trees since he painted them. He was far more interested in the composition of these trees than the amphitheater right next to them.

2. Insanely delicious and fresh food!

Grecian food reminded me of how Middle Eastern food is so bland. It isn't the food so much, it is the veggies and fruit. By the time they make it to the desert, the flavor is all gone. I was amazed at how delicious real tomatoes taste (you know, ones that haven't sat on a boat for several days). Even the onions were sweeter than candy. I am such a fan of Greek salads now. We have made several since we have been back. Even though they contain all the same ingredients, it lacks all the goodness that is in Greece.

Oh, and every single meal contained pork of some kind. I believe we ate two pigs--each.

Even the hot coco tasted incredible when there was rainfall outside. Have I mentioned how much I miss the rain??

3. Green, green, green.

We have been in the desert WAY too long. Every chance we could get, we would follow the trees. Oxygen, and living organisms, how I miss you.





4. Christianity

It was fun to see all the Byzantine Greek Orthodox churches. I am so programed to see mosques I was slightly surprised when I saw my first painting with Jesus in it. It is nice to remember that there are others of us out there.


5. Museums

We got our fill of various museums in Athens. It is slightly mind boggling to look at artifacts that can withstand the test of time and weather. I mean we are talking thousands and thousands of years! The houses in Doha have a hard time standing if they were built over 5 years ago. I know you think I am joking, but I am not.

Axel's famous getting-in-trouble-for-posing-from-the-old-man-sitting-in-the-right-corner photo. Apparently, you cannot pose. It is forbidden. Maybe they assume that if he poses, he may just be tempted to drop his pants in order to make the picture completely accurate.
I did not get in trouble for this photo, but then again, maybe they thought I wasn't posing.
My favorite
Axel finding his inner Greek god and feeling hairless.
Just a random, sexy shot of my hubby. Ugh, I love this guy.

6. Love, love, love.

When Axel and I are at home, we are in constant motion. We always seem to have a cause whether it is the kids, moving, church, etc. We have date nights often, but even then the bustle to get out the door and the fatigue that hits us when we are finally out, often overtakes the enjoyment of each other. This trip was all about us. Our conversations had almost nothing to do with the mundane activities we have at home. Instead, we became reacquainted with the Terah and Axel that we are. The conversations never ended and I remembered why I loved talking to Axel so much when we were dating. I love how he thinks. I love how he is. I love him.


Thank you, Greece. I'll be back!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

You guys are ssoo cool! I love your blogs and this one was really wonderful! In an age when being mean about your spouse is the norm, this was truly magical!
Love
Jackie

so jeles said...

Lovely posts about Greece Terah. I agree about date nights..they are quite rushed and it's so nice to be gone just the two of you and remember what you used to be, but is still there, just hiding ;)
fabulous pictures by the way too.

Jane Breckenridge said...

Must go to Greece! Would you guys be up for another sibling cruise around there (in the next few years)? The pictures are amazing, and I agree with taking vacations with just the spouse. Better than therapy!