Sunday, September 5, 2010

More Oil Paintings #???


Here are some more. This is a close up of an oil on a larger canvas based on some chinese crane paintings. Cranes are supposed to be a symbol for long life. When shown among pine trees, the crane symbolizes determination, wealth and power. When two cranes are shown together, it is the ultimate depiction of longevity. The whole picture. I am getting better at trees. Or at least I keep telling myself that...
This is Terah and one of the kids. It was taken from the Klimt picture 'The Three Ages of Woman" but I liked this section of it the best. I changed the background and tweaked the picture to try to make it look more like Terah and one of my kids. Oh, and I added some clothes...
My first oil attempt at the great Japanese painter Katsushika's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa". This was his most famous of his "Thirty six Views Of Mt. Fuji" he did on wood blocks. Go google the real picture. It is breathtaking. I say first attempt as I want to do this one again in water color. This is one I want to get right. Go look at his and then mine. The man was a master at creating a feeling.
An oil/acrylic of a Japanese woman. Honestly the painting looks better than the picture. It is weird how some paintings I make I don't really like in real life, but when I seem a picture of it, I love it and vice versa. I wonder why that is.

This is another VG I did a while back and just never put on Terah's blog. It is very large. I tried another way of doing his kind of thick globbed on painting. I thought why pay so much money for the oil painting (it is really expensive here), why not paint the picture with cheap acrylics so the painting is done as far as where the thickness of the paint is and then just add oil paint on top of that? So I gave it a shot, and honestly it worked pretty well. Surprisingly enough, I almost liked it when it was just white. It made me want to try it again and I will some day.

Next I am working on my biggest canvas. It is based on a few pictures Klimt did including his "Tree of Life" and another woman painting he did. I am on a Klimt kick lately. I want to do some of his birch trees after this or maybe some watercolors. I just bought some watercolor paper that is big and I think I will give it a shot. It has got to be easier than the oil painting and it will be a lot more like drawing, which I have always loved doing...

1 comment:

sunnyside said...

Axel is doing some of my most favorites. I love the Three Ages of Women and his interpretation is beautiful!