Our boutique hotel was situated on the highest hill in Athens, Lycabettus (a word that we never mastered during our time there, which costed us a few dollars in wrong turns by taxi drivers) This meant that we had the best view of the city, Acropolis and Aegean sea. When I reserved the hotel I quickly looked up what was the best in the city and our hotel came up. When we arrived I wonder why there was all the hype. It wasn't until I opened the window and saw this that I understood. It was like waking to a painting every morning.
The view from our hotel
The Acropolis is a fascinating place full of history and beautiful architecture. The earliest artifacts date back to the Neolithic era (6th millennium BC). Since that time, various temples were built, mostly from the archaic period.
My very own Greek god in front of the Parthenon
The Propleala
The Temple of Athenia Nike
An accurate carving of Axel and me
The Erechtheum- Why is it when I see this, my head hurts?
Theater of Dionysis Eleuthereus
Its nice to have an artistic husband who can make me look way better than I am in photos.
Every evening, this was the view from our hotel. If I could have wrapped it up and taken it home, I would have. Think of all the destruction Asa could do on the Parthenon? All those weathered years have nothing on my 2 year old. Just give him 5 minutes.
Temple of Zeus
The Temple of Zeus is placed right in the middle of the city of Athens. It was built between 473 to 457 BC. It was placed in the ancient city of Olympia. It contained the famous statue of Zeus, which was one of the seven wonders of the world. It was over 40 feet tall. It is in the classical style of the Doric order. For some reason, there is nothing sexier than seeing my husband stand in front of this massive building. Seriously.
Several fragments from the temple were sent to The Louve. Its horribly tempting to head over to Paris next weekend. Ugh, I forgot how much I loved Europe.
1 comment:
Those are some GREAT shots!!
Post a Comment