Sunday, February 20, 2011

Goings On

Catching up....
Axel and I are pretty good when it comes to change, but monotony, not so much. We have been really trying to love Doha the best way we can. Driving on the streets is infuriating, and the lack of entertainment is pitiful. The only time we can really, truly and genuinely like Doha is when we visit the souq. It recharges our batteries and makes us feel like we are experiencing a unique overseas experience. That is why we go there at least twice a week, just to refill.

Axel is experiencing success at work. The numbers are appropriately climbing and his contribution is becoming more and more invaluable. He is going to hate that I wrote this, but it is all true. As a result, he is satisfied and motivated. The current challenge is going to be Bahrain for him. It is one of the countries he oversees and he typically visits there at least once a month. He was there two weeks ago and knowing him, as soon as the bullets stop flying, he will be right back on a plane headed to Manama.


We are revisiting glasses for Heavah. She has been myopic for a while now and her left eye has been compensating. The optometrist said she needs to wear a patch over the left eye for at least 6 weeks. Instead of feeling embarrassed, she said she is excited that she can dress appropriately for her Pirate themed music concert on Thursday.

Xavier has found a new obsession. It encompasses the two loves of his life Lego + Star Wars. I am not sure how much a little Lego pack costs back in the US, but this little Jar Jar ship set Xavier back $70 bucks. He earned the cash with his checks money from doing odd jobs and the helping the family. His new Lego addiction has made him extremely helpful lately. He contributes a lot but states often that he is disappointed he has to work much harder in Doha than if he was in the US. American kids in the states work at least 50% less and even less on Black Friday.



Sedona is consistent with her gentle nature and easy going attitude. We recently heard from her teacher that she is one of the loudest children in the class. Axel and I tried to hold in our laughter, but failed to do so. We both admitted that she is the quietest child in our family and in order to compete and stay alive in our household, she has to make her presence known. In a house full of lions, you can't be a mouse.

Asa's language abilities astound us all. His favorites are, 'In just a sec!', 'Gosh' (as in, why am I so misunderstood?)', 'Wait a minute!', and 'She/he's trying to fight me!' Can you sense how Asa navigates through the chaos of our home?

Asa also has a love/hate relationship with Horus, our African Grey. Horus tolerates Asa's affection, but he doesn't put up with crap. The minute Asa tries to go too far, Horus puts his beak to use. It is a healthy bird/toddler relationship.

Shylock, our 13 year old Yorkie underwent surgery this week. His teeth finally gave up and the vet had to pull every single one. Yorkies have notoriously bad teeth and it has always been an issue ever since we got him at 6 months old in Croatia. The vet said if he had known how badly his teeth were infected he would have suggested euthanizing the little guy. This, of course was after the $700. bill. Axel would have rather bought another carpet. Not me, there is a lot more life in Shylock and I like him a lot. The kids do too, especially now that he can't bite.

2 comments:

Dianna said...

I love this post! I just hope Xavier doesn't start a protest over his horrible working conditions! I just love your family, Terah. I'm glad Shylock is still hanging in there. So who is in charge of mushing up his dog food now?

Boquinha said...

I LOVE SHYLOCK!! I didn't realize you only got him in 1998! So when we met him, he was still pretty much a puppy?! Who knew?!