
Last Day of School photo and proof that my children do not lack personality
It has begun. I have been gearing up for this moment since January. Summer here is like a decaying tooth. You can ignore it for only so long and then bam! There is no ignoring it and a dreaded root canal (debilitating heat) has to happen. Before you know it, you find yourself in the dentist chair at the point of no return. I have just made the appointment--so to speak--and I am going to be in that uncomfortable reclining chair for quite sometime. Fortunately, I have a few tricks up my sleeve and a fantastic vacation planned smack dab in the middle. I can do this!
To be truthful, the summers are never as bad as they seem. The panicked 5 months before June, July, and August, are far worse than the actual summer days. In fact, we have found it to be quite fun so far. I have allowed my children to spend the first week or so just playing with all the neighborhood kids that are here. The grand exodus from Doha to all home countries typically takes place about one week after school is out. My kids had to get their friend time in before it looked like the apocalypse just took place.

Xavier sharing quality time with his neighbor friend.
The slow-mo moves were terribly fun to photograph--especially when it took about 50 moves to get the perfect shot. I will admit, I do not understand boy amusements.
(No child was harmed during the actual photo shoot).

Since the departure of most expat families, we have spent a lot of time at our compound pool. It is heavenly with a waterfall, hot tub, and poolside beverage and food service. It's hard to dislike Qatar when I am sipping my lime/mint drink with classical music playing in the background.
Along with skating, 3D Imax movie watching, and cooking, we decided to try out the Doha beach. Sadly, because swimming is not a popular sport in Doha there are no decent beaches in Doha. We have plenty of coastline, but no suitable beaches. Friends of ours from church told us they know of a secret spot where Axel could spearfish and the kids could collect shells. It took an hour to get there, but once we arrived, the kids were submerged. It was windy, hot and dirty, but it was just the diversion we needed.
2 comments:
Terah,
Your blog is fantastic! My family and I are contemplating a move to Doha from the States and we can't tell you enough how helpful it is to get a firsthand account of Qatar from the perspective of a busy mom. We too have kids (a 2yr old and 1 on the way), are members of the church and would love to pick your brain about life in Doha. Any info would be a huge help. If you would prefer to email via personal accounts vs the blog, my personal email is camabell@hotmail.com.
I hope to hear from you!
All the best,
Camela
Terah, is that your baby standing as tall as Sadona?? Oh my gosh he's big!!!
You describing lime mint drink had me daydreaming of when I had it for the first time in Nepal. I drank it all the way home to the States. It's hard to find here and surprisingly hard to make. I can't quite get it to taste as good as I've had it before.
Love the London trip girlfriend! I am always with you in spirit.
Post a Comment