Friday, October 7, 2011

Entoto Mountain

My friend, Wakanyi, who I met in Nepal, used to live in Ethiopia. She moved just one month before we arrived. I was so sad that we didn't get to see her, but she was so incredibly kind to make a schedule for us while we were visiting Addis Ababa. We even got to hire her old driver. He knew all the special spots and took us straight there.


One of those special spots was Entoto Mountain. The mountain is the highest peak in the Addis Ababa region. It is about 3, 200 meters above sea level. The drive is absolutely beautiful (if you can avoid, the tree branches, cows, sheep, and children) and the greenery was gorgeous.





At the top of the mountain you will find several churches and monasteries. It is believed that the Arc of the Covenant makes its way to one of the churches every year. One of the Ethiopian pastors on June 25, 2009 told the world that he would unveil the Arc of the Covenant the following day. However, on June 26, 2009 he said he decided not to and that his testimony of the existence of the Arc should be enough. I guess that is enough for me, why wouldn't I believe?

It is commonly known that the Arc of the Covenant was housed in Axim, which is in the north of Ethiopia. We were very tempted to make our way up to Axim, but sadly, for the sake of time, we had to shave off that expedition. Yet another reason to visit again. Next time we will explore with Harrison Ford, and if Shia LaBeouf works on his acting skills and becomes less annoying he can tag along as well.


Me and Haile, our trusted driver and friend


The old king's palace is also located at the top of the Entoto Mountain. It is humble, to say the least, but has classic style. Oh, how I wish I could renovate.


This colorful house was actually where they kept the king's wife's body after she died. She is no longer there, but man, if you can get over the stench, what a great place to take a photo.


Our visit was blissful and the scenery was gorgeous. It was worth the climb and the best part is yet to come: the eucalyptus forest.

No comments: