Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ethiopian Eucalyptus


While on Entoto mountain we explored the beautiful eucalyptus forest. The green was the most vibrant I have ever seen. I felt like I was in a J.J.R Tolkien book. There were no fairies to be found, but I am not ruling out that we may have squished a few on our way down.



The strange thing about this forest was that there were no birds to be seen. Apparently, the potency of the eucalyptus is unfavorable to fowl and they avoid even going remotely near the area. The blasting Doha summers have the same effect, just less pretty.


Haile and Axel



We were led to a 'cave' while following two young boys throughout the forest. The cave itself was quite unremarkable, but the boys' excitement to share their finding was worth the trip. Apparently, this is a old soldier's fort, mud throne and all.



I was tempted to take some leaves back with me just to brew up my own decongestant. Then I realized spending $1.50 on Tiger Balm in almost any country around the world would be as equally as effective. Also less messy....and less questionable when going through customs in Doha.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Loving the mushrooms and the frog.

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

the colors in these pictures are so vivid they make your mouth water a bit. Weird but true!