Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bali Love

When we first landed off the plane I knew I was going to love Bali. Xavier did too, "Mom, I don't see any garbage!" He was right. Everything was clean, warm, lush and beautiful. Here are a few things I LOVED about Bali:

1. Fitri (our nanny) - Fitri is from Jakarta and a member of our church. We hired her to come be our nanny for the two weeks we were in Bali. We bought her a flight and paid her for the time she was with us. We walked off the plane in Denpasar and there she was! It was worth every penny!

fi1

It was also fantastic to brush up on my Bahasa and hear more about how the church is growing in Indonesia. They have around 15 missionaries right now and the work is moving forth. It was also amazing to hear a prayer in Bahasa.

fi2

2. Accommodation

Our first resort apartment was perfect. There was tons of space and the resort was beautiful. It was especially good for the kids as they had children's programs and an awesome pool.

hotel1

In Nusa Dua, Bali

hotel2

hotel3

hotel4

The second place we stayed at was in Ubud. Awesome.

ubud1

ubud2

LOVE the outdoor bathroom

ubud3

ubud4

ubud5

ubud6

ubud7

Our last place was a private villa in Kuta. At first, I was disappointed that I didn't book another resort. It stressed me out for a couple of days. But, once we arrived, it was difficult to be too sad.

kuta1

kuta2

Master Bath

kuta3

Master Bed

kuta4

kuta5

View from master bed

kuta6

kuta7

Second room

kuta8

Second Bath

kuta9

kuta11

Making Heavah work for her stay.

3. Shopping!!!!!

Which deserves a post all on its own.

b18

4. FOOD!!!

Which also deserves a post all on its own.

b10

5. Art

Same as above...

art1

6. Rice fields and greenery.

rice1

rice2

6. Depiction of Hindu gods

gods1

gods2

Nice

gods3

gods4

7. Wildlife

wild1

wild2

monkey1

wild3

8. Spas

Axel and I tried to cease any moment we could to have a couple's massage. There is a reason why Balinese massages are so popular. It isn't like the Thai massages that kick your a$$ or that scary feeling that they might push you for something *extra*. Instead, Balinese massages are a perfect way to relax from the smell of the oils, the pressure they use and the music they play. When I think of the Celestial Kingdom, I think of a Balinese two hour massage (which, by the way, is always the fastest two hours of my life).

spa1

spa2

The room where Axel and I had our first of many massages.

spa3

9. Cleanliness

clean1

Even the trash cans are cute and artistic. Pristine roads. Again, Celestial Kingdom.

clean2

10. Balinese People

peo1

peo2 peo3

Sedona is thinking, 'Finally, kids who actually understand this language I have been speaking!' It was the first time ever that she made sense to other children.

Collectively, Axel and I have been to about 50 countries and we both agree that Bali is one of the coolest places we have ever visited. I understand that all of Indonesia is very different from Bali, but as far as I am concerned, Bali has my heart.

10 comments:

Livia said...

Pot sa spun PARADIS! Vai ce frumos!!! Si eu vreau sa vin sa te vizitez! Daca nu macar va trebui sa vin sa-ti verific blogul mai des fiindca viata ta este intradevar o aventura.
You look amazing!Frumoasa ca intodeauna!!!

McMornMum said...

WOW!!
You are the coolest family I've EVER met.
I'm sold on Bali, Lee's been trying for years.

Boquinha said...

Wow, those beds!! I'd like to hear more about the food, too. But, um, those outdoor bathrooms. Just how private is it when you're using the commode.

Sally said...

This was really fun to read, thanks for taking us with you to Bali. I hope you post more about the food. Also, I am curious about the tourists that you saw at your resort and other sites--what was the demographic makeup of tourists in Bali?

And--would Bali be easy to navigate if a person had never been to that part of the world before and had zero understanding of the language, but was otherwise a good traveler?

Tami said...

I am green with envy. I could use one of those massages about now :) But I just have to ask ... did you post a picture of your daughter standing up and using the toilet?? Maybe I need to adjust my contact prescription ...

Paige said...

Holy cow, absolutely amazing. Jeff and I want to do a big trip next year together and now I want to go to Bali. Can you plan it for me and then meet us there, PLEASE???

~B said...

WOW! Looks like you all had a wonderful time... Great pics Terah and I'm sure they don't even do it complete justice. I really fell in love with Bali too... and seeing your post just made me ache to return. Plus I was on a "backpacker" budget during my trip so your accommodations certainly add to the Wow factor! Thanks for sharing.

terahreu said...

Livia! Multumesc foarte mult! Imi pare rau, nu vorbesc bine romaneste. Am uitat toate! Pathetic, really. I have no one to speak with anymore. You must keep writing me in limba romana so I can remember. You're awesome!

Jackie - You must go! Coolest? Maybe craziest.

Stacy - Yeah, at first the whole idea of sitting outside and using the can is weird but there is something awesome about it too. Having a bathroom outside represents so much goodness- perfect weather year round, fresh air and a closeness to nature. Loved it.

Sally - Most of the tourists there were either Russian, Japanese or Australian. We never met one American the entire time we were there. Nusa Dua, the first place we stayed is extremely tourist friendly. In fact, all of Bali is excellent with tourism. Everything is easy to navigate and if someone doesn't know English, there is always someone nearby. Could not recommend it enough.

Tami - No need to visit with your doctor. That is a picture of my daughter just after doing her business. It was the only photo we had of the other bathroom AND I plan on using for embarrassment just in case she is a naughty teenager.

Paige - Um, YEAH! Tell me when and where. I am so there!

Bev - Thanks for your suggestions. It really is an awesome place to be. I think it would be a little different as a backpacker. Axel and I did a more budgeted trip throughout Europe. I look forward to trying it again. I have a feeling it may be a different experience.

Jenibelle said...

My inlaws have been to Bali twice and love it. I am such a wimp, I am afraid of the food.

It's hard to believe that the Garden of Eden isn't in Bali!!

Sally said...

Okay. We are friends with Paige and Jeff. We are joining you guys on that trip. I'm sure it's okay that I just invited myself.

The food looks AMAZING.