Monday, March 9, 2009

Bali Me, Baby

af5 In the Monkey Forest, Ubud Bali

We just returned from our grand family trip to Indonesia and Thailand. To say it was fantastic would be an understatement. In fact, I am at a loss for what to write because there were so many incredible experiences it is difficult to convey in writing. I expect that several of my next posts will focus only on our trip as our photo count as of today is 1800 photos. There were too many cool things to miss.

af1

Ever since I learned Bahasa Indonesia and had Haleni as a maid I always wanted to visit Bali. It seemed there was something mystical and fascinating about the small Hindu island that I knew one day I would make it out there to see it all. I just wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. When we finally made the decision to go I could barely sleep the last few nights we were home and I was happy to find out that all my high expectations of Bali would be exceeded ten fold.

af2

I had some worries about how all four of my children would fair when it came to extensive travel. Truly, if they couldn't take it, we might have to exchange them for a different model. It is a point of survival in our clan. But each passed with flying colours. In fact, I am now convinced it is in their DNA to be excited about visiting other countries--not only in seeing the resorts and beaches but also eating the food and learning the culture. Bravo to them. They were champs from beginning to end. They barely slept and schedules were completely thrown out the window. Instead of going insane, they took it in stride and seemed to be working off of adrenaline just like Axel and I.

af3

For the next couple posts I will focus only on parts of our trip. We were gone for 3 weeks and to record everything would be impossible. However, every single day seems worthy of its own post. Then again, there are some cool things happening in Nepal since we got back. One must move on. I will write more soon...

af4

The view from our villa near Kuta, Bali

Until I come down from my cloud...

2 comments:

Ryan and Brindi said...

what an exciting trip! beautiful pictures! what a neat family experience. looking forward to seeing more pics!

Lori Ellsworth said...

I knew you would have some amazing things to post when you got back. I love reading about your trips!