
Every Friday is Haleni and Sumi's day off. They stay here in the morning to help us get off to church, cook a meal or two for us, and then they are off and away. I never knew what they did on that day. I just know it is a common topic for them when they are on their cell phones throughout the week, what to eat, what to wear, what to do. I think the day gives them great pleasure because they come back happy and energized.
The mystery was revealed when Haleni invited us to her birthday party at a nearby park. We met up with her and Sumi at the entrance of Mamzar park. As we walked throughout the park, I saw a great number of Indonesians. So many that I wondered if a small Indonesian city had uprooted and established itself right there. Soon it was evident, everyone of those Indonesians were there for Haleni! They all stood up and greeted Axel and I by name and embraced our children. It was like we had all been long lost friends!
The party was so interesting. We were the only people in the group who had chairs. The Indonesians preferred sitting on the grass. They had a traditional Indonesian satay, which was out of this world! The party involved, singing, eating and laughing--lots of laughing.

What was even more entertaining was watching the Afghanis who were sitting nearby watching the Indonesians. It appeared that they were somewhat amazed and yet confused by all the amusement. They sat there for a couple hours with a stale face the entire time. Let's just say, I think I would rather plan a vacation to Indonesia than Afghanistan...
No comments:
Post a Comment