As I came home from running my many errands today, a man came up to me and asked me if he could wash my car. I declined since it was a rental and my maid just washed it yesterday. He was a laborer in Dubai which means he was on his afternoon break from his construction job nearby. He said he was looking to make extra money because his mother has cancer in India. He wanted 10 dirhams ($2.80) for the car wash. The softy that I am just passed him over 10 dirhams but he refused to take it. He said he will only take it if he washes my car. I gave him a bucket and a towel and watched him wash my car from inside (it was about 42 degrees (109 F) outside today).
As I stood there with the A/C cranked while the packing crew were wrapping my endless possessions, I felt sick inside. Why is this the case? Why is there such a difference between my life and the life of the guy outside washing my car? Here he is in Dubai trying to make a living while his family is back home in India some place waiting for his every money transfer of 200 bucks a month. I was deeply humbled and sobered. They say in Dubai, the longer you work the less you are paid. It is so true and it makes me so sad to see it on a daily basis.

After he was done, I gave him an extra payment, a old t-shirt, a bottle of water, and sent him on his way. I will never understand his life and he will never understand mine, but my encounter with him gave me a lot more than just a clean car.
No comments:
Post a Comment