Monday, May 5, 2008

Dubai Shopping

The shopping experience in Dubai is unique. Although there are more stores than you can name here, there are very few I would actually spend money in. This is for two reasons:

First, rarely are there ever sales (usually only twice a year, Dubai Shopping Festival and summer sales). It is amazing how Americans are so tied to sales. We usually don't buy anything unless it is on sale. We have to feel like we are getting away with something (hence, the previous haggle post by Axel). This is something very unique to us compared to the rest of the world.

Second, usually the stores carry gaudy things that aren't worth a dang anyways.
___________________

However, since I am on a kick about shopping in Dubai, I will list a few stores I am really going to be sad to leave.

Preface: Because Dubai is such a melting pot of different cultures and ethnicities, it has attracted some of the best stores throughout the world. To my knowledge, these stores do not exist in the US or if they do, there are only a select few locations.

In no particular order:

1. Promod www.promod.eu
This a french retail store. It carries the most unique outfits I have ever seen. In general, the clothes are modest and comfortable. I can't resist visiting it every time I am in City Center.

2. Kamiseta www.kamiseta.com
This is a Filipino store. They have adorable clothes and the prices aren't outrageous (which is really saying something in Dubai) Plus, their store at Uptown Mirdif is definitely the cutest one in the plaza.

3. Zara Home www.zarahome.com
Hands down, this is the best home accessory store around. If you love exotic and unique accessories for your home, you will LOVE this store. I often just walk around the store touching, smelling, and feeling every item in there. It is a sensory overload. And, when they have a sale, it is reasonable.


4. Pumpkin Patch www.pumpkinpatch.com.au
I know this store exists in the US, but when I was there, I never saw it. They have adorable kid fashions that play really well if you want coordinating siblings. It is Australian or maybe New Zealand.

5. Early Learning Center www.elc.co.uk
This store is outrageous when it comes to price, but I have to admit, it is pretty fabulous. It sucks my kids in every time. Plus, the toys are made to last. My kids have put their toys through the durability test and it passes every time!

I can't wait to report on the Nepal shopping. I have a feeling it will be a little different than this!

No comments: