Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Our Porkless Bistro

I can cook but I don't love to cook. I've never really had a love affair with food and therefore, I am not too passionate about making it. However, I can always appreciate someone who can cook well. That is why when Haleni arrived I was soooo thankful that not only would she cook, she could cook really, really well. Haleni has a love of food, and she is very particular about her spices and textures. She is so particular that she worries about how the room smells when she is making the food. It is all quite a ritual and she owns the kitchen.

Here are some samples of Haleni's cooking. Most of the food art is done by Sumi. The kids always fight over who is going to get the garnish.



She can make everything, Indonesian, Arabic, Mexican, Thai, etc. We bought her several cookbooks that she often uses. I simply have to point to the page and she makes it to perfection. Every morning she asks me what menu I prefer, which often results in me running to the store for an ingredient or two. Often, I will take Haleni along as she is speedy getting what she needs in the store. It is an efficient system that works well.



The only thing she refuses to cook is pork. It is funny when Axel is hankering for his American breakfast. First, we always have to run to the store cause we never have a reserve of pork in our home. That would scare Haleni. Once Axel and I arrive at Spinneys (our local grocery store), we have to walk into the 'For Non Muslims Only' secret room (no joke). I always feel like a sinner just walking in there. "Um, sir, do you have some bacon?" (spoken hesitantly, while looking over my shoulder). It is also funny to see my kids encounter the 'pork' room. "Ewe, mom, gross. People eat pigs???" That comment made me laugh but greatly concerned Axel. "Is Muslim doctrine being sent to our children's subconcsious????



After the pork is bought, we bring it home. This always comes with a 'yikes!' look on Haleni's face. She likes to look at it carefully, but she will not touch it. Then, because we are eating the sinful fruit, I actually have to cook. Haleni, although she is sickened by the thought of us eating such a dirty, filthy animal always seems curious and asks the same question 'Madame, what does it taste like? (Apa rasa ini?)' I then try to describe the flavor of pork. Salty and delicious are always words I seem to fall back on. Then our carnivorous crew begins feasting. At times, it feels like a Medieval meal. Grunting, 'ummming' and always ending with the licking of the fingers. Yes, children, we do eat pig.



Finally, after the meal is devoured, I must clear the table and wash the dishes with a special 'pork' sponge. Haleni will help out as much as her conscious will allow her. Just this last week while I was washing the dishes she continually said 'sorry, so sorry'. I then told her not to worry about it. But she further stated, "I am not sure why I can't eat pork, and it always smells good, but I just can't". I then said, "No problem. I share your same sentiments about coffee." Smells so good, but I just can't.



Overall, the lack of pork in our home is a very, very small price to pay in comparison to Haleni's delicious meals. It is always fresh (she chops fresh veggies every morning) and always tasty. We are so thankful we are bringing her to Nepal with us. Everyone is welcome to try her food, trust me, the flight is totally worth it!

1 comment:

Cami Severson said...

I want a cook! (And a house cleaner) You guys eat like kings! That is so much fun. Don't mind us living the exotic life vicariously through you!!

Thanks for sharing all these stories! Your blog is so much fun to read!