Here are some of the differences of the church in Dubai...
1. We go on Friday. It is really funny to see how hardwired we are to going to church on Sunday. It is 'Friday School', not 'Sunday School'; and our playday of the weekend is after our sabbath day. It is all a real shift in paradigm.
2. 80% of our branch is Filipino. If you want to really feel the spirit, invite a Filipino over. They are incredibly strong and spiritual. Many of them are living through great difficulties. Some have their entire families back in the Philippines, and others are here as a couple but their children (as young as a year old) are living back home with a grandparent or other extended family. Many of them are separated for years. And I bitch and complain when my husband is gone for two weeks. It is so humbling.
The rest of the ward consists of the following nationalities: Australian, New Zealand, Chilean, Mexican, Iraqi (yes, we have a few), Sri Lankan, British and American. It makes quite an interesting dynamic in Friday School.
3. Here is a picture of our 'chapel':
4. Here is a picture of our two baptismal fonts:
This is the new one:
This is the old one (the Persian Gulf):


Axel baptising a newly converted Iraqi member
5. We have NO missionary program. For many of you this may be a dream come true, but you would be surprised how much you miss seeing missionaries around. It is also strange how sometimes I am tempted to share the gospel with others and how disappointing it can be when I can't.
6. All stake gatherings are held in Bahrain. This is the 'hub' for the Arabian Gulf Stake. Any youth activity or leadership meeting requires an hour flight.
Despite the differences, the church is the same. We also have a guy who makes outrageous comments in Gospel Doctrine, a weepy lady who always has to give a 20 minute testimony, and a woman who always sings extra loud so we can hear her beautiful voice. But most importantly, we are equally inspired and strengthened by the members and given a deeper appreciation for the universal truths of the gospel.
2 comments:
I love the pictures of the baptism in the gulf, WOW! That is so beautiful! I would want to get baptized there! When Levi was baptized a 1 1/2 ago, we did it in a chapel (not ours) where, apparently, they don't drain the water and it was GREEN from moss! GROSS!!!!! I was pretty disgusted at it, truly no excuse for it! But I guess, the cleanliness of the water doesn't matter right? It's the cleanliness of the soul that we're focusing on!
Truly wonderful experiences you are having! How neat.
It is so interesting to hear about all of your experiences! I love reading your blog and looking at the pictures!
Post a Comment