Although I knew Chinese American food was very different from Chinese Chinese food, I wasn't expecting it to be completely tasteless. Isn't that what MSG is for? Aren't the Chinese known for their love of MSG? Now I am confused.
Even the crazy food had no flavor. It was disappointing. I don't have a heightened sense of taste, but to merely feel texture and no flavor in my mouth, was just plain boring. I can do weird, gross, spicy, or sour, but nothing? Meh. The only exciting part of Chinese food was perusing their menus. I have come to realize that the Chinese will literally eat anything to stay alive. Also, they have no English friends who can help them with the translation on their menu.
'Shannon bacteria dry shrimp beef'
'The shop sign makes an oxtail secretly'
'Balled salty chicken feet'
'marinated chicken green sauce'
And my all-time favorite:
'Donkey of doing boiler Hunan'
'Monolithic dual-crisp pickles'
You would think I went out of my way to find such a yummy menu, but not so. You can find these gourmet meals anywhere in the city. Turtle heads, duck tongue, and chicken brains, can all be found at pretty much any restaurant in town. You can also choose your favorite fish from the tank:
You can choose the live fish, the barely alive fish, or the ones floating at the top. Your choice.
Which I had already eaten in Arizona. Rattlesnake, in fact, killed by my husband. Grandma has the belt to prove it. Not bad, like chicken.
Truthfully, the only good food we ate the entire time we were in China was at Da Dong Restaurant. Uh-mazing. The menu also consisted of its fair share of crazy concoctions, but our dishes were carefully picked and out-of-this-world.
The sampling was not just food, it was art. Like this sweet pork rib snowy island:
...and carefully craved Peking Duck with all of the tasty condiments...
...and a mere side order of asparagus with rose petals and bamboo wrapped ends:
My final report on Chinese food: 'Starve yourself, or chew ice chips while in China. It is more flavorful and less gut churning. That is, unless you can visit Da Dong and then gorge, baby, gorge.'
7 comments:
I am pretty sure I would have starved. What the heck where the brown and yellow things with white on top?
He said muscles, but in China, that could mean anything.
The shop sign makes an oxtail secretly - wow! That is my kind of entertainment. In their very poor days in the 50s my mom and dad lived on oxtail soup - probably not the secretly made kind! Those unidentified things are slimy AND scary. Your report on the food does not make me want to jump on a plane for China.
What a bummer. I am ALL about the food, especially weird and delicious stuff from different parts of the world, but not from China apparently! Well, at least the Great Wall was GORGEOUS.
I too absolutely loved the "donkey of doing boiler hunan". You are the funniest blogger! I love reading your stuff! You've got to scrap book all your signs you've captured on your travels. They are hilarious!!! I have to agree with another post that the food does not want me to jump on the plane and head strait over there. However, I did love the traditional noodle soup in Vietnam, and it was looking pretty scary. I cheated though and left out all the scary stuff. If I could go back I would totally try the dog meat.
You just went to the wrong restaurants! the food in Beijing is amazing!
- Beijing Expat :)
Post a Comment