Sunday, April 3, 2011

Let's Talk Kitchens...


The photos in this post are all samples of the many kitchens I have viewed since I arrived in SLC. Can you see why my head is spinning?

The more houses I see, the more confused I become. Small yard, big family room, bad curb appeal, large finished basement. Why can't they all just be perfect so I can make an offer and be done with it all?

It has been even more agonizing because I have to observe the home from the perspective of a renter, not an owner. That makes it far more confusing and involves more objectivity. I'm not good at that. I am an emotional buyer. My heart must go pitter patter.



Sooo......

Here's one of my many questions: What do you look for in a kitchen?

Are black cupboards trendy or fading?

Are green granite countertops so 90s?

Is a two toned kitchen a must?

How about white washed cupboards?

Is an oak kitchen a deal breaker?

If you could dream up a kitchen, what would your heart desire????

6 comments:

Megan said...

Yes lets. If I could dream up my kitchen.....it would be HUGE!!! Enough space for me and my husband and all my kids to be at my feet. :) Deep sinks, and lots of counter-space and storage. I also would like 2 ovens. Personally, I like granite. Even if it is 90's. :) Based on the pics, I would go with the first one. Whatever you do, don't go with the last one. That just screams "I have lots of mouths to feed and I can't make them all go to the table to eat properly so I turned this island into a table and nailed in chairs to keep all my kids in place." Only in Utah. :) Best of luck!

diplobrisco said...

hehehe, I like Megan's post.

The first kitchen is the best. Love it. The fifth picture is pretty nice too. Shopping for a house to rent out WOULD be hard. Do you think you would eventually live in it though? Because that would make a big difference too. If it's strictly a rental and wanting to sell when the housing market goes back up than you have a whole set of other things to think about. Phew! Glad I'm not having to decide:)

Have fun, as you usually do with just about anything, and keep keeping us in the loop. Can't wait to see the lucky winner!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

I LOVE kitchen shopping!!! Ok...the last and second kitchens are awful. I think it has to do with the seats being built in like Megan mentioned. I really, really like the two toned kitchen so long as over to the side there is a big walk in pantry somewhere. I also like the kitchen/dining combo that is red. Least risky kitchen is the first. Very neutral. Marble/granite countertops are tops in my book.

Summer said...

I also find the seating attached to the island a strange idea.

I would also say that you have to consider if a renter is going to look after the granite counter tops etc, as well as you would. So while it might appeal to you and a renter at first glance, you have to consider the wear and tear factor.

Christine said...

Here's my advice for you Terah, I would definitely stay away from anything that is not a chair supported by four appendages. There are some large people out there, and also, if you are renting to a family, teenagers that don't care about a thing. Don't buy the house thinking that you'll live in it because when you're away you'll be cursing every day about the "whatever" the renters broke. When, and if, you do move into the house for a time, you can fix it up to your liking. The best thing I ever did was detach myself as much as possible from the house. It's kind of like falling in love with a person you can never be with. It's just painful. Just say "no" and buy something, anything.

Catherine said...

When we saw the attached-to-the-island-chairs in our home, I too was a little concerned. But it wasn't a deal-breaker for us so we went ahead and bought the house. However, I have come to love them generally because of my laziness. Our family spends most of our time in the kitchen and I don't have to keep pushing stools back in after the kids have been sitting there, I don't have to move stools around when sweeping/mopping (and with 7 kids I do that a lot), and they surprisingly hold more weight than you'd think. I would seriously consider installing them in our basement kitchen that right now has barstools--but first I have to save up $$ to update our main kitchen. But even with that eventual update, I'm keeping the attached stools.