Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Le Musee du Louvre

Our vacation has finally begun!

Our first activity in Paris was to indulge Axel by visiting the museums of all museums--the Louvre. It has been years since we have been in France. We went to the French Riviera for our first wedding anniversary and have been to Paris a couple of times since. This was the first family visit. Europe isn't always the best vacation for a family of 6, but I think I have continually proven that we are brave and crazy, so why the hell not?




Heavah looking lovely, and the other two sucking back some pigeon poop water. Thank goodness for that Nepali germ resistant immune system. Drink away, children. Drink away.



Doing the Louvre with 4 kids 8 years and under took some planning. I spent several days ahead of time researching the paintings and creating 'I Spy' sheets for the kids. Each child got a 'check' for every painting they could find. I gave them a pictorial list of paintings and a list of various scenes they must find, for example, 'Woman holding the French flag in Battle'. Finding a 'nurse' was the hardest, 'Jesus on the cross' was the easiest.



My favorite Renoir

Xavier asking, "It's just a lady sitting. What's the big deal?"


Lov'n the Nike of Samothrace

I do believe we found the noise threshold for the Louvre a number of times. We also know every bathroom in the entire building. Other than the poking-a-pen-in-Heavah's-eye incident (which was a close 'emergency room' call) they did pretty well.

Oh, and a trip to EuroDisney was also a good incentive for the kids to behave well. There is a lot more to come. Ooh la, la!

4 comments:

Danielle Breedlove said...

You guys are incredible parents! If I was a child and I had a choice... I would choose Axel and Terah. (:

Are you making your way to Oklaaaahoommaaaa on this trip? Please say yes!

Can't wait to meet you guys one day.

Dani

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

Louvre with kids is soooo exhausting! Without kids it is still sooooo exhausting...so really, you have nothing to lose bringing them! I am overwhelmed by the place personally. They have my favorite statue though, so I will be back :)

Megan said...

LOVE IT!!!! Kids make life so much more exciting, for better or for worse! You are looking so flippin tan! Holy crap! Awesome! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip! LOL at Asa in the bottom pic...did you notice his face? Its hysterical!

diplobrisco said...

You ARE brave! Wow, what a great a idea to keep the kids busy looking through paintings to find "Waldo". I'll have to remember that. Tim and I did almost the same photo outside looking at the building. We didn't go in because, well, we had the kids. This was when I just found out I was pregnant with my fourth. I wasn't a happy camper for a while. Actually Paris sucked because I was taking my shock of being pregnant out on TIm. Poor guy. By the time we were done with Paris and heading to London I was done being a witch and enjoying our vacation. One day maybe I'll go inside. I can't wait to see your Paris Disney. I'm sure you had a better time then we did. As Danielle already said, you would make much more fun parents than we were at the time. Or maybe I should say, I was, at the time.
Keep the pictures coming!! :D