
As a celebration of Sarita's arrival Axel and I went to see New Moon. I was hesitant to even go, but Axel insisted. Yes women, my husband dragged me to a Twilight movie.
Let's talk about the Twilight series, shall we?
I have read 3 of the Twilight books because I felt my church membership was in question if I didn't do so. The first one? Fine. Okay. Not so terrible I want to poke my eyes out and slightly entertaining. But the book did leave me with tons of questions. I read the second book thinking it would surely answer all those questions, but no dice. By the third book I spent 3 hours skimming from cover to cover looking for those answer and still never found them. I gave up.
Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I didn't read with such intensity and therefore I missed the point. If you have the answers to these questions I beg of you to tell me.
1. Why is it so horrifying if Bella turns to the dark side? Forgive me, but doesn't Edward's life seem just fine? The guy is forever young. He is handsome, and never has to study for an exam. The downside is not clear to me. What makes me want to yell, 'Bella, don't do it!'? Is it because she will have to live forever? 'Cause that doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. Or maybe it is, but I don't have a clear idea of why that would entirely suck. Is it because she can't have kids? You know, the whole purpose for our existence and the end of her genetic imprint forever. Stephanie Meyer has not fully developed this point and therefore, why do I care?
2. Is it just me or is the angst so unbearable one cannot sit comfortably during the entire film/book. I have angst about their angst. It doesn't stop until you finally close the book or walk out of the theater. My problem is if I don't quite understand the basis of this angst (see Question 1), I can't look past the drama and overacting. I am just expecting there to be a scene about Bella's internal conflict of what color of socks she should wear. Honestly, why do I care?
3. Why does Edward and Jacob care about Bella? I cannot be convinced that it is her gorgeous looks or dynamic personality. She appears to be average in every way. For two apparently 'hot' guys I don't get the appeal. I am not convinced it is her unsatiable blood. I mean, come on, find another O positive and move on. Plus, women, wouldn't you be a little offended if a guy only loved you for your circulatory system? What is the relationship based on anyways? I am not sure why I care about her let alone two super fine guys. I mean, it isn't like she fought off Voldemort or something like that.
4. Why would Meyer try to integrate a social act such as marriage into a vampire world? Do you really think vampires care about the sacred act of marriage? Isn't marriage of God and vampirism of the Devil? Why mix the two? I am either buying the real world or the vampire world, not both.
5. Why is the only rule with the vampires that they can't show themselves? Edward wanted to commit suicide by showing his diamond glowing skin off to a crowd of people. Apparently that was a sure fire way of getting the book thrown at him and getting his head ripped off. But then five minutes later we see 25 unsuspecting American tourists being led to their deaths. What, glowing skin will reveal to the world that vampires exist, but 25 ripped apart American tourists is going to pass by CNN at a time when the biggest story is two party crashers at a presidential party? Hmmm. Pass me another glass of milk. That one is hard to swallow.
Maybe there is a clear, defined, explanation for all of these points and I just missed it because I did not read with vigor or vim. Am I alone in thinking this is not a literary masterpiece or even fun to read? It isn't simply because Sci Fi isn't my first choice of books, because in the past, I have been sucked into the world of Captain Kirk and Terminating Robots. If the storyline is tight, I can be swayed. The problem with this book is not 'Vampires' per ce, it is just there appears to be too many holes and I am bothered by the undeveloped pieces of the plot.
I know I am a living, breathing, middle aged woman and that is why I am so confused. Shouldn't I LOVE this book? Shouldn't I be talking about what 'team' I am rooting for? Shouldn't I be lusting after those boys portrayed in the book? Why do I not have passion for this book? Where is this passion rooted in all these women? Because I can't find it.
So, please, for the lazy reader here, tell me why I care.
11 comments:
haha I loved this post Terah!. i however can't help you on your plight to care about these books. I've read all 4 and it was NOT fun. but also I felt being a member you have to read them. I thought they were boring and far to full of emotion.. seriously who has that much emotion?!! I felt like there was some potentional I mean werewolves and vampires. I loved underworld so I thought it would be good. but WAY too much emotion to ever be interesting! I don't get it.. and ps Robert Pattison is probaly the ugliest guy I've ever seen.
I'd love to tell you why you should care but I don't know. i read them too to fit it. I actually liked the first and third but don't do sci fi either. apparently to answer your questions you have to suspend disbelief. I'm not good at that either.
I've been wondering the same thing myself... haven't even made it to the 2nd book yet. Watched Twilight for the 1st time a few days ago and was completely underwhelmed. Is it just me or was there something missing, an intensity... or maybe acting skills? I wondered if Bella was suffering from a bladder infection at times... hmmm. I haven't shared this with others before now for fear of being thrown off of some bandwagon. Just don't get all the hoopla.
Sorry, I don't care either, so I can't give advice. I never even bothered to read the books. I don't think it's a requirement for church membership at all. In fact, doesn't it get a little graphic in the last book? That's what I heard, anyway. :)
Hilarious! I can't even muster the interest to crack open the first book. A woman has a thing for a vampire? The premise doesn't even begin to spark the least bit of interest in me. I don't know why either.
When I see hoards of women flocking to the movies, it reinforces for me that I probably wouldn't like it (I'm an out-of-the-box kind of gal). And your review clinches it for me. So freaking hilarious.
Alright so I've read all four haha
Let me tell you, Bella is just an over emotional air head. Ed? He's just stupid. And Jacob? He's slightly less stupid then Edward.
I think the story was pretty good though and well written, just the character were kind of stupid...but just those three main ones, everyone else I liked.
The movies are some of the most horrible disgraces to filmography I have ever seen. Talk about horrible acting, though Jacob was decent, especially in comparison to Rob and Bellas obviously forced love. But yeah it's over merchandised and just runs on the money of obsessed pre-teens parents money.
PS It's my birthday! :D
What a relief! I fail to care too. I was wondering if I was alone in my uncareingness, I am so happy I'm not.
Go see Surrogates or Old Dogs, you'll have a much better time of it.
I'm also pleased Sarita has finally arrived!
good post....sooooooo I have to admit the writing is terrible and yes I see all your points and I usually am not into romances but for some strange reason I still like the books, even though its ridiculous. I don't know why, but I do. And I agree with you so there you go, I am not help either. And on another note, I really wish they wouldn't have cast that Robert dude as Edward...bad decision.
Great job. I could barely sit through New Moon. I could barely muster enough self restraint not to yell at the screen, "Would you give your daughter some Prozac and send her to a treatment center!" But I could barely finishe reading. Only thing redeeming was all the bare. Tasty.
Wow! People certainly do have some pretty strong opinions on this one. Who knew a series of books could provoke so much conversation... and almost as much emotional upset as the books themselves! Loved your post and all of your points, however, I am one of those women who loved not only the books, but the movies. Terah, you know me, you know I am a die hard romantic and easily entertained. Not that I think these books were literary works of genius, I don't. I do think they were entertaining and tons of fun. Sometimes it's nice to just read for the heck of it. Sometimes there are no answers to these questions other than what your own imagination can tell you. As for the movies, I have to tell you, I swooned when Edward made his first appearance in New Moon, walking across the parking lot. So long as you don't get too caught up in rationalizing and analyzing every part of it you too can just sit back and enjoy! Try it again and see what you think!
I asked my 12 yr old neice who has read each book a number of times what the appeal was. "It is SOOOO ROMAAAANTIC" she replied. I told her that in real life some guy stalking you and hiding in your bedroom is neither safe nor romantic - but I get the desire to be loved sacrificially etc. There is just too little reading time available at this point in life for me to read these. I am totally low brow when it comes to movies but I'm a total book snob and these just don't seem worth the time from all reports.
And I never knew Myers was Mormon.
Post a Comment