Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Arid

Photo taken two weeks ago in Doha

I recently heard about the snow storms in the eastern US and Canada. It is hard to believe since we have been sweltering here. Luckily, however, for the past two days there has been a chilly breeze in the shade; I am talking a whopping 65 degrees! Everyone is dying. How can I let my children outside without sweaters and socks????? Surely their internal organs are going to freeze! Comments like these keep us Canadians smiling.

I returned from Dubai a few days ago and it has been difficult to adjust to the Doha landscape. It is pretty sad when Dubai seems like a lush garden, but it really does. It may be brown and slightly boring here, but it has my kids, so I will stay.

Just before I left for Doha, Axel and I came across an old village out in Education City. It is about to be bulldozed so we decided to take a few pictures of what is left of this 'ancient' city.



It is truly amazing to me that black gold is the only thing that has caused this place to develop. The real question is, 'What will happen to this place after the need for oil is no more?' I have a hunch Doha will look quite similar to this. So, you actually could be looking at the future, not the past...

2 comments:

Boquinha said...

Wow. Terah, come check out our post called "BLIZZARD."

Dianna said...

Interesting comment about those pictures predicting the future of Doha . . . hmmmm. I also love how bundled up people get here with the 65 degree temperatures. I might not have grown up in Calgary, but I guess my birth there qualifies me to have icy Canadian blood. I LOVE the cool air.