Thursday, March 10, 2011

More Oil Paints (I gotta come up with a better title...)


This is Axel again. It has been a while since my last post. I have been working on a few paintings since. The below paintings are in no particular order. Some in here I really like, others well, meh. The above painting is a really big one and is actually one of the most recent I have done. It is of a house of a guy at work. I did it with funky colors. I hope he likes it... It is a big picture. About 100 x 70cm.
This one is a joint work between me and Asa. I will leave you to figure out which parts I did and which parts Asa did. I think I did the same to one of my mom's paintings, so Karma gets you in the end...
I have been painting a lot of pictures of Terah lately. This is a painting of a pic I took of her in Spain at the Miro museum. I like it and I am going to probably put it in my office.
Another picture of Terah I did. From a pic I took of her in Greece at an old church. It was tougher to antique it. I am not sure I did it right. Painting Terah is both easy and hard. Easy because she takes such good pictures so half the painting hardness is already solved. Hard because honestly there is no way I can make her look as pretty as she really is.
I found this great Russian artist named Vladimir Klashisomethingski. I'll remember the name later... Anyways I love his style and I want to do more of this kind of style. I am really enamored by how he does things. I really want to make it my own. Anyways this is a painting of a picture of Heavah in Kenya with a Masaai warrior. Or tour guide.
Another painting of Terah in Vlad's style. Man I love it. I am going to do about five or six more of paintings I have.
A self portrait of me in Greece. Actually my this is my facebook wall photo. I did the mosaic with a white out marker. I screwed up my eyes. But I did this a long time ago. I think I would have fixed it had I recently done it.
One of the ones that will never see the light of day again....
Don't know how to feel about this one. For some reason it makes me a bit blue when I see it... :-)
Another portrait of Terah. I did this while watching her smock. As soon as I showed it to her she said 'why did you paint a picture of my friend?' She thinks it looks like one of her friends more than her. It was my first portrait. She has blonde hair and big lips, I know I got at least that right.

A portrait of a neighbor. Dennis Draper. The Six Million Dollar Man. He died late last year. My dad put it right. The world is a darker place without him. I did this for his wife. It was one of the first real portraits I ever did.
A Gaugian I did. I should look up how to really spell his name, but he is French and I am lazy. Anyways, gotta love his colors. This was small one paper. I have been painting a lot on paper lately. Less expensive and easier to store.
Terah really loved the lithographs we saw in Spain. So I did this one and tweaked it. It is a pretty famous French lithograph. And Asa love cats.
Another one with all our names.
Ahh, Katsushika... I love this guy. He is the one that did the 36 views of Mt. Fuji. His most famous (coming up) is the great wave of Kanagawa. This is another one he did that I really liked. I tweaked the english to sign my name in the red box to look like Japanese...
Another one of his, but this one I sucked up. It is also never going to see the light of day.
Another one of his. I really liked this one and it turned out OK. Every time I look at it I am going to think of America's Got Talent because that is all we were watching when I painted it.
A painting of a picture I took of Terah in Spain. She said this is her lizard painting. I wanted to do one "Bansky'esk" and so this is it. Hey, I like lizards and I like Terah. Together they can't lose.
A large one I painted for Heavah. It is of a painting Terah and I saw in Spain. It was better in real life.
I actually painted this one twice. This was the first one. You can see I wanted to try to get it right. I like this one too, but I like the second one a bit more.
I gave Linda Camilleri my first painting of "The Great Wave of Kanagawa" by Katsushika. So I painted it again. This one is another big one. 100 x 70 cm. I have it in my office to remind myself that no matter how bad you think your job is, remember, there used to be guys who would go out in weather and waves like this on boats like that just to try to catch a few fish so they could feed their families. Can't complain when I think of it in those terms.

SO that is it. Until next time I guess.... Hope you liked them!



8 comments:

Boquinha said...

Um, wow. Axel, you never cease to amaze me. When you come up in conversation, I'm generally describing you with words like, "He can seriously do anything and tell you about it in 1 of 16 or 17 languages!" Beautiful paintings. Just beautiful. I'm wondering if there are more than 24 hours in your days over there? :P

Dianna said...

Brett says, "Dude, you rock!"

Paige said...

Ax these are fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I love the ones of your gorgeous wifey especially

mom said...

I am so proud of you and the work you do. It comes so naturally to you and you are definatly my inspiraton.

I love all these new ones. Axel I am thrilled with what I see.

I will do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya
mom

K said...

Axel, I LOVED your Katsushikas. I have 6 of his works hanging on my walls. You've inspired me!
Your art is amazing.
Thanks for the post. It reminded me of Japan, especially at this time.

diplobrisco said...

Axel, there is a style you have that really stands out in a lot of your paintings. It's amazing! I LOVE the one of Terah you painted while she was smocking!! The trees and the waves are just amazing!! Seriously, there are paintings you make that are just so right on! Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I really like it. I like your comments, too. It's a small world. Turns out I work with a guy who knows you from Thunderbird. His name is Ian Cheng.

Ryan and Brindi said...

gorgeous, as usual. i really love the one with the warrior guide. what a neat style. great work!