A stand alone in a compound
Axel and I were determined to move into a home near Axel's work. Traffic in Doha is a beast and I didn't want the little time that Axel had in Qatar spent in a car. An hour is precious for our family when you consider he is gone 4 days out of the week.
After looking at a number of homes we came up with nothing. The perfect place (or at least seemed to be perfect) was fully occupied and we were running out of ideas. On the way home from work one day a Real Estate agent brought Axel to an Al Fardan compound. The Al Fardan compounds have an excellent reputation. I wasn't too sure about compound idea. It just seemed too close for comfort.
Before the agent brought Axel to the compound he had this really strong feeling that this was going to be the place. The minute he walked in he knew that the house would accommodate our family just fine. It was where we needed to be, no denying it. I had no idea why, but it was the place.
I went to church on Sunday to tell people we were moving into the Al Fardan complex only to find out that we have 3 LDS neighbours! All our children are close in age and we are all either across the street or right beside each other. In fact, a Muslim family down the road said, 'We can't believe that there are more Mormon families on this street than Muslims!' It was then followed with, '...which is great because we share a lot of the same beliefs and moral standards.' It has become our little Utah in Doha.
So far, it has been surreal living here. If you close your eyes and ignore the daily prayers on the loud speakers from the mosque, you can easily pretend you are in some American suburb. In fact, we were here for only a week and we were invited to a October Conference dinner while the broadcast was on TV. Our kids play outside with their friends every evening and our doorbell is always ringing. It has been such a stark difference to what we experienced in Nepal. They both have pluses and minuses, but I think this is what our family needed for this time.
Here are some visuals of the house. The pictures are of the main floor. I will send others as we get our stuff and after my weekly maid cleans the rooms.
The Office
Downstairs bathroom
Kitchen
Living Room
Dining Room
I know this is the right place for us now and I also know it won't be long before we are packing this place up to head off to another country. I desperately miss my life in Nepal, but for now, this will work just fine.
6 comments:
It looks beautiful! (No carpet?)
it's gorgeous!!! so important this is where you feel you should be. what fun for you and the kids to have so many lds neighbors nearby! congrats on the new house!
You haven't mentioned the shipping of your stuff from Nepal. Will it take as long as last time to get to you?
I bet you miss Nepal. The house looks great, but I hear you on the complex thing. I hate subdivisions. I'm more of a farmhouse-far-from-neighbors kind of girl. I mean, I really like people. When I'm not busy not liking them. Just kidding. It's the constant doorbell thing that would drive me mad. We LOVE hosting people, but not constantly. So I hear you. Maybe it'll be short lived and you'll move to some 3rd world country again. More of an adventure that way. Vent away, my friend!
Hi!
I have been reading your blog and want to thank you for the wealth of information you have included on Qatar. My husband has been offered a job and with two small children getting all our ducks in a row has been challenging - that is why your comments have been so helpful! I had a quick question - what company did you use to ship all of your belongings? I am having a terrible time finding a reputable company and would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!
Smya - So great that you are moving here. I feel your pain. It isn't an easy feat. We used a local Nepali company and they had another company here to unload us. I am not sure of the name. I can look it up for you. I thought they did a fine job. If you have any questions, problems, concerns, or just need someone to ask 'why the heck am I doing this???' email me. I would be happy to tell you all I know from my experience.
It is terahreu at yahoo dot com.
Post a Comment