How much longer can I disconnect myself from the real world? This whole process has opened up painful wounds of trying to settle in Dubai, and that process took at least 3 months. I am at month #2 right now with no end in sight. Everything depends on something else. For example:
To purchase a vehicle one must:
1. Get a visa - Check
2. Find a van in an SUV only market - Check
3. Get approval for a loan - Sort of
4. Wait for a man in a mysterious office who seems to be on vacation a lot to sign the loan documents - Nope
5. Sign post dated checks till 2050 and pass over first born child- Check
6. Give 800. bucks to the bank as an 'Approval Fee' - Reluctantly, check
7. Take the loan papers to the greasy man at the dealership who sold you the car - Nope
8. Wait for the greasy man to talk to the globetrotting banker before handing over the keys - Nope.
9. Drive away - In my dreams
This is ONE of the billion process we have to go through in this country and if there is one hiccup it adds days or weeks to the process. It seems that we have been told, 'Two more days' for the past 5 weeks. Such is life in a place that is civilized, but doesn't have a civilized system in place for residency. Seriously. Do you see my dilemma?
I am trying to keep a log of posts so that I can bulk up your reader when I finally get back on. IF I get back on. After all, it is only going to be about 'two more days'....
4 comments:
I feel for you! We've been told we'll get DSL "next week maximum" and we're going on 3 months now and still no DSL. Please just tell me the truth and if the truth is "I don't know" then please tell me that!
Next time I see you remind me to tell you of my car buy debacle here. It will make you feel MUCH better, although I still feel for you! BTW-love your blog!
Good ol' Insh Allah!
I feel your pain. Lee's iqama - work permit - has him down as McMorL, and he can't have a bank account BEFORE prayers. Locked in the bank during prayers, lo and behold after prayers, No problem! If an audit throws it up, they'll give him a new one.
We will try again for our blood tests tonight, it's only the third attempt, not as bad as your problems.
Keep smiling!!
Good Luck.
We look forward to reading your upcoming posts.
Post a Comment