Friday, October 30, 2009

It's a Carnival

We had an SUV in Dubai (a Honda MRV) and a 16 seater van in Nepal.  We were thirsty for a regular minivan like our days in Delaware.  Our rental was a Pathfinder and the climbing over car seats became a circus act after a while.  I am over the SUV thing. 4 kids tips the scales.  Plus, where else but the Enterprise and vans can you get Captain's chairs.  Make is so number 1... (This last two sentences were written by Axel, could you tell?)  

Minivans are rare in Doha.  You have two basic choices-Kia Carnival (equivalent to the Kia Sedona) or Honda Odyssey.  I love Hondas but the price was double and we weren't looking at living here for long so longevity wasn't a priority.  Plus, vehicles in the Middle East have a shelf life of about 5 years.  You cannot sell a car here that is over 7 years old.  There are no beaters in the ME.  The weather is too hard on cars and the price is often determined by how well the A/C works.  

As a result, we caved and bought a brand new Carnival.  It is a sellers market and the customer service was beyond horrible. Our greasy salesman fit all the stereotypes and I cringe to think that some of my money supported his smoking habit and excessive use of hair gel.  

In fact, when we asked to take a test drive, this is the van that they gave us:  


Now I know buckling your child in the ME is merely a suggestion, but do you really want to create a death trap for those parents who actually try?  

Despite the poor customer service and dangerous test drive, we gave in and bought our mini van and thankfully, the 8 seater (with seats attached and normal seating) arrived in our colour of choice.  We are happy and I am glad that there is sufficient moving room for the kids so I don't have to referee the touching game. 

We equipped the car with the necessary additions and are feeling like real Qatari residents.  I amazed at how easy it is to cart 4 children around town.  It is really true, as a mother, there isn't a sweeter ride.  

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Mobile at last!
Good for you.
The Kia sales guy didn't have any carnivals left - he didn't want to sell us any car sitting in his showroom, no matter how much we begged. The Toyota garage kept on closing whenever we went there. I don't think the car folk in KSA like filling in all that nasty paperwork or having one of their shiney new vehicles leave their showrooms. Luckily for us though, the nice man at Hyundai was more than happy to help us buy ANY car in his sparkley showroom AND the 'last price' was pretty good too.
BTW, what happened to the previous post when all the kids were dressed up??