
A few days ago I was lucky enough to watch my daughter and some of the neighborhood girls do a dance performance to 'All the Single Ladies'. The interpretive dance involved a lot of jumping, clapping and twirling, with a mix of sass and strut.

The movements were graceful and abrupt all at the same time. The hand gestures were clearly displaying the conflict most single ladies feel: 'Come, come...now... go away, go away.' There was a lot of angst and expression in each pose.

The whole production was dance fusion with a little ballet, jazz, and contemporary all mixed into one. It effectively displayed how women are not one dimensional--especially single ones. It shared with the audience a sense of joyful play and solemn seriousness: 'If you like it you should'a put'a ring on it.' The meaning was deep and emotional at times.
I am tempted to give you my account of their Thriller piece, but it was too moving and too terrifying to put into words.
2 comments:
I can only imagine how proud you are...but remember i'm sure we all shared in the expressive dance routines at her age ;) just not to Beyonce!! keep em coming Terah.
Wow, were you a cultural affairs writer in your earlier days? That was quite a critique. You made them sound . . . . well . . . semi-professional, almost. I was at the same performance and I didn't quite get the same out of it as you did. I must be really uncultured!
Post a Comment