When Axel and I visited India back in 2006, I always knew I wanted to come back. If I didn't it would be like visiting the US and only seeing New York state. India is so vast and so diverse it would take months to see everything. Goa especially interested me because I heard of its natural beauty, and as a Portuguese colony, it has an interesting mix of culture.
Goa was under Portuguese rule until 1961. Like other parts of India, it feels like it has been frozen in time. The houses have a Mediterranean feel and most of the vehicles are vintage.
Even though there is a European feel in Goa, it is still very much India.
Colours used for Holi. Sadly, we just barely missed the festival.
The ladies pose'n in front of a typical green door. We were such a great combo of personalities. The conversations didn't die. I honestly lost my voice the day I got home and I felt so enriched. By the way, we know EVERYTHING.
My favourite picture of Afton. ever.
Beautiful bangles made for very skinny Indian arms. It is always a challenge for me to get my massive hands to fit in these (comparable to manhands in India, I swear). So, I bought some for Sarita. I must appreciate the beauty somehow.
Cruising the markets and smelling the not-so-sweet smells
Afton experiencing the obligatory elephant bath
We happened upon an Indian wedding. The groom was Indian and the bride was Taiwanese. It was stunning to see so many colourful sarees. I am so sick of seeing the black and white national dress. You need a little florescent orange and cobalt blue in your life, don't you think?
Finally, the shopping was awesome. The absolute highlight was the Saturday market. Nothing makes me feel happier than to haggle. As Axel says, it is a true art. You know it is good when you feel like you should give a little money away just to balance the universe.
Buying our saree purses. We must have bought over 40 purses. I must say it was my favorite buy (and cheapest, which added to the happiness of the purchase).
Contemplating my purchase and wondering how she is screwing me.
If you are interested in seeing India but not all the bad stuff (extreme weather, garbage, and crowds), go to Goa. It is India, but light. The people are friendly and hospitable, and the natural beauty is stunning (more on this in my next post). I keep hoping our next assignment will be India. Southeast Asia is my thing.
4 comments:
Awesome!!!! I love your way with words! I could go back tonight. Seriously. My kids are driving me nuts! We should hop on a plane! :)
excellent. I just made my first post..I'm having to do it in installments. I have to stop reading what you and Megan are writing because it truly echoes what I would write about the trip.
This reminds me about what the one guy told me "You are selling to me! I am paying you!" hahahaha....soooooo true! And that woman was doing her best to screw us. grrrrr.
oh...and that Sari purse photo...I was actually posing for that originally and then I got distracted by the purse above me as you snapped. Too funny. I was sooooo excited about those purchases as welll...we really had to work for that one though...which added to the joy!
Great elephant picture! Thanks for the Goa pics. As someone who is 100% Portuguese but has only heard of Goa (often), I appreciate it.
Post a Comment