It is embarrassing how long this has taken me. Xavier's trip was so 3 trips ago. But alas, I must commit to recording Xavier's fun, just to prove I can get it right once and while.

The 45 minute flight to Dubai was far too short for Xavier. Traveling is a free ticket for playing his Game Boy and he felt entirely cheated when we landed, 'That's it?' Since it was his party trip I let him indulge in Game Boy fun for the whole time. I am amazed that he still cares about the lame games on that cheap electronic. Don't tell him PlayStation 3 exists, I am milking this one for the whooping $60. I paid for it.

Here are some lovely scenes from the plane window. As you will notice, if you are rich, you can pretend you don't live in a desert. For the rest of us, you are painfully aware-everyday, every minute, every second.


Our first point of fun was the Rain Forest Cafe--brilliantly located directly behind the Dubai Mall Aquarium. The food was mediocre, but the atmosphere made up for it. What pleased me the most was how much Xavier thought about the other kids on this trip. 'Asa, would LOVE this', 'Awe, I miss Diddly Dona', 'I miss Heavah more than my friends'. A heart of gold, he has.


During our trip, our diet consisted of fast food and jelly beans. Candylicious (the most calorie-fill store I have ever encountered) had the
real Jelly Bellies. I ate so many jelly beans I swore they were all the same flavor after 10 minutes of constant eating. I must also note that Xavier dropped two $20. filled bags while taking it to be weighed. He was lucky he was the star of the week, otherwise the punishment would have been grave.

Unfortunately for Xavier, Dubai insists that we must shop. We visited the Outlet Mall, the Dubai Mall, City Center, Emirates Mall and Dubai Mall again. Never has one child been dragged to more stores than Xavier did during his trip. Again, Game Boy saved our butts. He could have been locked in a cellar and been happy as long as his batteries held out.


Another one of my mistakes was making Xavier join me on a wee excursion to my old beauty salon. We stopped at the Mirdif Mall and surely it was just a short walk down the road. Not so. Xavier and I climbed dunes, crossed major roads, and even explored an abandoned neighborhood in search of M & A Salon. The fun part was visiting our old haunts. Xavier remembered it all, and even noticed it wasn't quite the same as it used to be, "Mom, before were were so many people, now, there is no one around.' Thanks to the grand exodus of Dubai.


The shopping wasn't all for
my pleasure. Xavier enjoyed all the 'toy stores on steroids' and I sadly explained to him why we have no such fun in Qatar. All the fun is in Dubai, Doha has little to offer.


One of our funnest experiences was bowling at the Magic Planet in the Emirates Mall. Xavier show us he has his father's skillz by mistakenly taking his father's turn and getting him a strike. Yes, that is 4 strikes in a row. Don't look at my score, I suck.


What would a trip to Dubai be without a ride on the Metro and a mandatory photo in front of the Burj Khalifa? That is the only possible way to prove you have actually been there. Otherwise, you might as well have been in Doha.


Obviously, the game playing comes from his father. I might as well get a manicure. How long would it be before they both realized I was gone?

Wild Wadi was a fun excursion for Xavier and I, but I must admit, it was dang cold. Yes, that is right, I said that the Middle East was cold. It will be the first and last time I say that, and I wished I could have bottled up the chill, it would have come in handy this past week.

Another activity that Xavier thoroughly enjoyed was going to the Mac Man and testing out various eye shadow colors. Xavier got to have free reign of the camera and even documented his excitement:


Our last stop was the Children's City museum. I feel like it is the most underrated place in all of Dubai. No one goes there and I can't figure out why. It is like a Please Touch Museum and has all the fun any child could hope for. I delight in going because they have lovely places for parents to sit, and the children are always tried when they are done. If you live in Dubai or visit often, spend the 5 buck entry fee and go before they close it down.


The trip was a blast and we shared some super fun experiences together. Xavier was a fine companion. He wins the prize for the easiest traveler. Good thing, it makes me excited to bring him again. Soon.
3 comments:
What a cutie he is!
we have mac counters here...
But yes, Doha Shmoha...the mac counters stores here never have the stuff I need.
Great little documentary.
sooooooo cute he missed his family....awe
Post a Comment