
One of my fondest memories as a child was going to Disneyland and Disneyworld. I am not drawn to the commercial aspect of Disney, but I can't deny that that experience has been burned into my memory. I can't remember my first date, but boy, oh, boy do I recall It's a Small World right down to the colors, emotions, and smells. The vividness of the experience for me has never faded.

Disney Paris was classier than the other Disneys I remember. It had that European flare that was quite indulging for parents and children alike. It was definitely a Disney for European families with the typical 1.2 children. I never saw a family larger than mine the entire two days we were there. Jacques and Amelie should be having more babies.
By far, Heavah's favorite ride was the Haunted Mansion. She has the same interest I have in all-things-that-are-creepy. I am the only person I know who went to an enrichment in grade school called 'Graveyard Studies', and I am the only one I know who would choose to have my birthday party at a graveyard for several years in a row. In retrospect, it is a little weird. But at the time, it was awesome. Yeah, her fascination with ghosts and scary stories? I totally get it. 
Dona on the other hand, was in luh-ove with the carousel. Had I known, I would have taken her to the mall and paid the 5 Riyal and watch her spin to her heart's content.

As no surprise, Xavier was in love with the Star Wars ride. By a stoke of luck, Chewbacca was waiting outside for us to take a picture. Sadly, this was the only character we got to take a photo with. There was a mile long line up for the princesses and the only one who seemed to care was Dona. Thankfully, she is my easy going kid and a simple lift up from her daddy 20 feet away sufficed. After watching some of the other little obnoxious 'princesses' in the waiting line, I owe her some make-up and itunes credit when she is 16.
Asa enjoyed it all and no ride was too scary (not displayed above. The tea cup ride is only scary for me.) If he was tall enough (he's in 99th percentile for height so by all rights his fear level should be less than his stature), he rode it with gusto and vim, begging for more when it was complete. I rarely appreciate having fearless children, I may pay for it later, but for now I beam with pride.
Our diet consisted of sugar upon sugar with a dash of powered sugar on top during our two day Disney stay. I do believe the colors are so ever more bright when you are on a sugar high. If so, I think my children were seeing fluorescents.
The two days were tiring and exciting. (Even the man who puked on my leg made for some interesting conversation.) Both parks were exceptionally fun and it seemed that our adrenaline was working overtime. I am not going to lie, taking four kids from ride to ride was exhausting. There were moments of "Mommy, I know we have been in this line for 45 minutes and we are just about to get on, but I have to go to the bathroom." Or, "If I have to stay in this line for one minute longer, I might just explode or pull someone's hair. Whichever comes first." But we survived. 
After taking my kids to Disney, I found a new appreciation for my parents. How did they drive all the way across the country with kids in the car who loved to annoy and taunt each other? How did they pay all that money for us to get into the park when we couldn't afford the $1.50 water whilst driving through Las Vegas during the dead of summer? (remember, Dem?) How did they not just give up when my dad and I left our place in line and the people behind us won a brand new car? (true story). The only thing I can say is thanks, thanks for giving me a memory that will never go away. So much so, that I would repeat the whole experience all over again so that memory can be imprinted in my kids forever and ever. Crazy, I tell you. Must be some kind of Disney magic.



No comments:
Post a Comment