Axel's family has some strong roots in Manti. That is where he would go as a young child to visit his grandparents and go hunting. Whenever he had a bad day at work, I do believe Manti was his happy place for a mental respite. That is why I think everyone enjoyed simply watching Axel in Manti. Of the 13 years we have been together, this was the strongest glimpse of my husband's childhood. He was a kid in a candy store. I mean a big one, with tons of acreage and unlimited spending money.

After 4 years of being away from the US, Axel finally planned his Manti hunting trip. The hunting gods were smiling upon Axel during his Manti excursion because within no time at all, Axel caught 3 gopher snakes, which was quite impressive. However, what I found much more interesting was the reaction of all the Bromley progeny. No one--I repeat-- not one child (of which there were 17) was scared of the snakes. In fact, the children were actively fighting to see who could hold the snake the longest.

Gopher snakes were not the only prize of the trip. Axel's brother also shot a jack rabbit. (For what purpose, my female brain can not understand). I am told that was also a big deal, because it happened swiftly and with one shot. 'Good job', I said, and went back to eating my licorice in the van. 
Asa was quickly turned on to the idea of hunting. So much so that he decided he would mark his territory.
"Let all man, child, and infant know (like my father declared many years ago): I will be back!"
2 comments:
haha! I love it! Its all making sense now...its in the Bromley blood!
So much fun! That was a trip highlight for me and I'm (a little) sad that we didn't transport our snake home.
Post a Comment