Saturday, August 13, 2011

France for 6



It is really true that Paris is a place for lovers, but not necessarily for their offspring. Bringing four kids to France was kind of like going to a business meeting in drag. All eyes were on us, and we were definitely out of place. There was a lot of pointing and a lot of comments. I wasn't ready to be such a spectacle. In fact, I was looking forward to finally mixing in with those who were similar to me. Boy, was I wrong. I felt like I was the old woman in the shoe.

Look at the angelic single child in the right corner. She didn't move the entire time, and was surely thinking, 'Ah, this is what I have heard children do. Never have I seen such shenanigans." Of course, this was done with her hands on her lap and in a cute French accent.

Eating out at with my kiddlets in a French cafe was entertaining. When we arrived, the maitre d' was thrilled to see so many towheads, but he didn't realize that they would show him one thousand different ways to dissect and disperse a baguette. Oh, and how loud it can get when you tap a wine glass with a butter knife.


The streets were fun for us for the simple fact that there were sidewalks and actual people walking on those sidewalks. It is a rare find in Doha, especially in the summer. I kept thinking, what a shame to have these huge sidewalks and not enough double strollers to stroll on them.



Since you asked, yes, I did only pack one large suitcase and two small carry ons for our entire month trip. When it comes to packing for a family of 6, I am the master. I have never been more thankful that I pack lightly than when we were trudging through Paris and making 4 hotel changes.

We especially turned heads when we went on the train headed to Disney. You would think the train would be flooded with little tykes donning mouse ears, but no. In fact, not one. Even the seats were only suited for a mom, dad, and one child with a wee piece of luggage. Make way! The Bromleys are coming through!

Paris was a delight for all of us, even though people would rather look at our huge family than the Monet right in front of their faces. Most comments were kind (except for that really nasty one from the Hunchback of Notre Dame herself!), and it made me really appreciate the fact that I have 4, yes, 4, of the most adorable children in the world!

Love them, especially in Paris!

1 comment:

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

ahhhh...and this is EXACTLY what it is like for us to live in europa. BUT, then throw in a child that is asian.