Monday, April 21, 2008

American Academy for Girls


It has been interesting having my children in private schools, not quite the same experience I had when I was growing up. This is especially true with Heavah's school. Although it is an 'American' school, Heavah is truly one of the very few Caucasian Americans there. This is the main reason why Heavah is in the majority of the school's marketing materials. I found it odd at the beginning of the year that they always wanted Heavah in the picture, 'Come here, stand next to Heavah', 'Heavah, Look over there and smile', 'Will Heavah be dressed in her usual uniform tomorrow? They will be taking some photos.' I then started hearing from others that they saw Heavah in the latest catalogue or newspaper. Sure enough, she became the 'poster child' of the AAG school. I am not sure how good this is for my daughter's ego???

The large majority of students at AAG are Emirati. I am sure since most of you are fully aware of gas prices these days, I don't need to tell you that the majority of Emiratis are stinky rich. Here are some examples:

Transportation: Most all children are driven by their chauffeurs in their Bentley or Porche SUV (which I didn't even know existed until I got to Dubai!), and the nanny delivers the child to the class. It is so different from when I was a kid and I had to take that hideous orange bus, you know the one, with the green tattered pleather seats; and the scary large bus driver who looked like a man but really her name was 'Marge'.



Cleanliness: When I walked into Heavah's school my jaw dropped. I don't think there was a speck of dust on the floor. In fact, Heavah's teacher (who is Canadian) said that one of her students who recently came here from America had to go to the bathroom. When the teacher took her she realized that the child was taking so long. She asked, 'Are you okay?' The girl answered 'Yes, I am just placing toilet paper on the seat." All us Dubai ex-pat folk can laugh at that because we know that that particular toilet was probably scrubbed clean, with a toothbrush and a magnifying glass 5 to 10 minutes ago. They have a full on staff to do just that one thing. Hum, when I was in school we were lucky to find toilet paper to use on the toilet seat let alone our butts. Cause gosh knows that the poor lone janitor, who just turned 70 yesterday, will be lucky if he makes it to the girls bathroom by next week.

Events: Thousands and thousands of dollars are poured into the school's extravagant affairs. I was on the parent committee and we were discussing a fashion show that was going to take place at the school. As we were in a heated discussion as to how we were going to fund the food, one of the mothers said, 'Ugh, I am tired of talking about this, I will just pay for it.' There goes $5000 from that woman's pocket. It was an expensive way to end the conversation.The event involved catered food from a 5 star hotel, fashions from the most expensive stores, and a professional salon. Additionally, there were blackened windows because it was a 'women's only' event and I finally got to see all my friends without their abayas on. Flashy and sooo much fun! In my childhood, we were breaking the bank with streamers and popcorn (with salt and butter, maybe).



Education: Finally, each classroom at Heavah's school consists of a teacher and sometimes two teacher's aids. Pretty good for a class of 15 girls! Heavah amazes me with her knowledge and maturity, some of which can be directly attributed to her education. I wish I got to play at her school during the day with their elaborate costume corner and playtime store! My middle school classes consisted of 34 students, which actually turned out okay for me cause the exhausted, stressed out teacher rarely noticed me sleeping in the back.

It is odd to think that my children's childhood will never be like mine. It is something you come to accept after you move overseas. Either way, despite the Gucci bags and Jimmy Choo shoes, I am thankful for AAG and the fact that it has given my daughter a love of reading,learning, and an appreciation for others who are not quite like her.

4 comments:

Cami Severson said...

Wow! What an experience for your kids. No wonder they want to use Heavah for their brochures. She is the epitome of all things American. Happy, Beautiful and blonde!! That is funny about the Bentleys and the Porshe SUVs! We never see Bentleys (haha), but the Porshe SUVs are all over our neighborhood. Joe and I always marvel at why someone would want to spend $120k on something that looks like every other crossover SUV out there (inspite of the tell-tale porshe front)! But that is just me, I HATE spending money on cars!!

terahreu said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Why spend a butt load of money on something that is a) not only going to get scratched and dented up (knowing the way they drive here) and b) decrease in value and never give you a good return except the thrill of people envying you as you drive down the street. I don't care...I am just glad when my car doesn't smell like throw up or has juice spilled all over the seat! :)

Cami Severson said...

haha! Too true! I am usually embarrassed when someone else rides in my car. They always comment "Your car smells so good, like vanilla..." haha... Little do they know that is part of my evil plan..innundate their senses, with vanilla, to cover up the other, uh hmm, less desirable smells!

Isn't amazing how many places kids can stick food? Places I didn't even know existed.

Rachel said...

it sounds like your children have had some amazing experiences overseas.

I remember doing some headshots for this one family (mother and daughters) and at one point they took off their head scarves (after making sure no men were near of course). I remember feeling incredibly honoured and I realized just how sacred that is to them. It was a neat experience. Not one you get in Canada all that often!