Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Malaysia



The fun didn't stop from the second we entered the plane. Heavah was such a delight to be around. Who knew that kids grow up and they become real people? I found myself having time to nap and read while on the plane. What? No bottles, puke or pooh? Lucky me.

Our trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia was a spontaneous one. I knew I wanted to take Heavah on a mother/daughter trip but I wasn't sure where or when. Axel's work is chaotic right now but not as bad as it will be in the coming weeks. This was our opportunity to go. I decided to leave on Sunday and we were flying by Tuesday.

Here are the necessities for a perfect mommy/daughter getaway:

1. Stay in a sweet, chic hotel that is perfectly located.

We stayed in the Trader's Hotel which was across from the Twin Towers. It also had a serious playground and pool that astonished Heavah when we arrived. Don't skimp on the hotel. It is never worth it.
Outside the doors of our hotel

2. Eat more than your body can handle.

I think I ate my weight in food. There are so many good restaurants in KL and there was not enough time or hunger to partake of them all. It wasn't rice or dahl and we were happy. Yeah for excess calories!

Aunt Annies
Sticky rice and mango in Thailand (we spent a day there)
Chilis
Traditional Malaysian food (Nasi dan Ikan)

Fish and Chips


California Pizza Kitchen

Sushi in a modern, chic establishment

3. Visit the coolest bird park.

The enclosed aviary in KL is the largest in Asia, I believe. It does make the chances of getting pooped on much higher but it was worth it. Luckily for us there were no white surprises from above and we got to see some sweet birds. Very cool.

Feeding the Lories some ice cream. Are they intolerant? We didn't stay to find out.


One of Heavah's favorite attractions--the hachlings. Hun? A child in love with her rural life in Nepal. It makes her father proud.

4. Visit museum exhibits and watch the indoctrination begin.

Malaysia is a wealthy country unlike Indonesia. You can tell the minute you arrive that it is a stable, rich country. Why? They have the black gold and are proud of it. The museum we went to was oozing with propaganda. Rah, rah petrol. It gives life, love, AND happiness. I wondered what little liberal Heavah was thinking as she is an environmentalist at heart. Nepal does that to you. Or at least a VERY liberal school.


God bless the dinosaur for it giveth serious cash


5. Do death defying acts.

I didn't think children could do the Flying Fox (a zipline 30 meters up the length of a football field) but Heavah was determined to do it. She didn't falter at all, "Hey mom, I'll try that!" She did it 4 times. Who is this crazy child?



6. Visit with a friend.

Axel's mission companion (from over 20 years ago) happened to be on a business trip in KL while we were there. Our schedules overlapped for an evening. It was great to see him and catch up on the gang back in Utah. I was so sad Celina and Axel weren't there. They missed out on some great food and a revolving restaurant 500 meters high. Revolving while eating seems like a dangerous combination--especially with jet lag. But the view was amazing and so worth the risk.


7. See the main attractions.

Walking through the rainforest
The Batu Caves
Only 275 steps. Almost as fun as Monkey Temple.



But the real fun came in catching a pigeon freehand. Who needs to see another Hindu shrine when there are pigeons to chase? All that chicken chasing paid off.



Checking out the view on the skywalk in the Petronas Towers. Yet again, another reason why oil is fabulous.

8. Go to a dry and wet park and run from one attraction to the next until your feet fall off.




9. Shop, shop, shop.

Buying goods for the children left at home
(which inspired Heavah to make up this song:
Asa gets something,
Dona gets something,
Xa-vier gets something.
I get nothing,
You get nothing,
too bad for us.
But it's okay,
But it's okay,
'cause we're having fun)
Sampling all the good stuff
10. Have so much fun together that it is difficult to leave.


3 comments:

Ryan and Brindi said...

what a fun trip! so many neat attractions to see. definitely a good memory to last for years.

Boquinha said...

Looks like a great trip! What memories you're building!

Paige said...

Love that you took pictures of all the food. My kind of girl. What a trip!!! Your adorable daughter needs a cuter bathing suit though. Where should I send it?