Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Terrific Trio


Michelle, Stephany and Me sporting a lame Charlie's Angles pose. We are HOT.

Before I moved here I knew I would have very few friends, and it is true. However, in my older years I am realizing more and more that when it comes to friendships it isn't quantity, it is quality.

God was looking upon me when he sent me here because I found two friends that became a great part of my Nepal experience. We tried to meet weekly, which often worked out. And more recently (because we are transfixed on tailors and creating not only our own outfits but each others) we have met a few times a week.

We often met at a new restaurant and discussed the best and worst parts of Nepal. I found my mouth running from the second I sat down. I was so relieved to talk to people who viewed life here so similarly. It was great therapy.

Showing off our tailored goods. Michelle's wrap, Stephany's shirt, and my jeans (yep, tailored jeans, I love Nepal).

Michelle is a mother of 7! This was her first overseas assignment and she has handled it like a pro. She provided us and our cooks with classes on how to make the most delicious western food in a not-so-Western-country. Coconut shrimp, anyone?

She completely understood my situation of having 4 small children and sympathized with such compassion and wisdom. She says I was here to teach her teenage daughters, but she was here to be my rock and soundboard when I was needing it the most. She is leaving in a couple of weeks. First the US, then China. We are going to miss them greatly.

Stephany is also a great woman of strength and I am so thankful to know her. We had so many heart-to-heart conversations and she would always call me just to see if I was doing okay. Calling me is always a challenge because of the Nepali phones, but she was persistent, and I am so thankful for her thoughtfulness. She is also my body double. With only 1/2 inch difference between us in all dimensions, she could always potentially stand in for me if I couldn't make it to the tailors. You have no idea how helpful that is. She is an awesome mom of 4 and a great friend. I am blessed to know her. She is US bound in a month and then her hubby is off to Afghanistan--again. She is amazing.

We have had the funnest time creating together. We often copied each other's clothing and ideas for outfits. We were anxious to see how certain items turned out and we often had a fashion show to display our creations. It has been so much fun to share ideas, tricks and survival tools to make it through our experience in Nepal.

I am the only one staying. I love Nepal and I really don't want to leave for a while, but it is always difficult to see your friends move on. I will be here solo again, but I am sure my friendships with Michelle and Stephany will see me through.


Miss you guys already!

1 comment:

Boquinha said...

Awwww. I remember discussions about Phoenix that were also therapeutic and had me ROLLING!! You 3 are very cute! Terah, when are you guys visiting the US?