Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bahrain Booty


Even though Bahrain is right next door, there is something extra fun about being in a hotel, with my husband ALONE. He was sick most of the time, but it was great to visit for dinner and send him off with a kiss in the morning. I did very little on this trip. The hotel had an excellent gym so I worked out for two hours and then came back to the hotel to create more photobooks--my idea of a perfect day.

A typical taxi in Bahrain

It was especially exciting to see local Bahraini people really working. I mean real jobs. Like driving a taxi. After living in the UAE and Qatar, you expect that if a man is wearing a dishdasha he is only required to shop or work in government. It was good for the soul to see that there is less of a divide between 'us' and the local people.

Since we were still in the Gulf we did what all people are required to do-shop. The rank of your country is dependent on the size of your mall. If this is indeed true, Bahrain is better than Qatar. The BCC has everything you need, including an indoor swim park.
One thing that Axel is very thankful for is he has a great staff. Managing 4 countries isn't easy for him because he can't be present all the time. That is why he is grateful for staff members who he can count on. It was a pleasure to have lunch with two of his staff members. It was nice to put faces to the names. One afternoon I met one of Axel's staff and his family. His wife said she reads my blog (hi Bindiya!) and was inspired by my girlcation. If I can encourage more women to go on a girlcation every once and a while, this is all not in vain.

Truly, the highlight of the trip was carpet shopping. A couple of evenings Axel and I wandered 'carpet row' (or so I have nicknamed it) and played the haggling game. We didn't intend on really making a purchase, but we ended up flying home with 4 beautiful treasures.

The most impressive purchase we made was from this man. Axel and I felt like we played the game perfectly. We wanted to look at his 'small silks' because that is the next level for us. (Yes, there is a carpet hierarchy.) Collectively, he had some of the most beautiful carpets we had ever seen. Furthermore, when he threw out his highest quality Qum, Axel and I both looked at each other and immediately knew, 'That IS our carpet'. We both maintained our composure and said that we were hungry and we would return.

At that moment, we ran around the corner, grabbed an ice cream for dinner and began expressing our undying love for that carpet. We discussed our next strategy and walked back in the store knowing we wouldn't leave without buying it. In addition to the Qum (the Holy Grail of Persian carpets), I was very interested in getting a kilm runner (a less expensive rustic Afghani rug). This is how it was played when we returned:

Axel (in Arabic): I LOVE that Qum, but my wife isn't convinced. She doesn't know, but I really, really want that Qum carpet. She thinks it is too expensive. She is more interested in getting a kilm runner. I must have that Qum, but I don't think she will go for that price. Can you work with me on this?

Dealer: (in Arabic): Your wife doesn't know Arabic? She just wants a kilm? I don't know if I can move much further down the price, it is one of the best Qums I own.

Me: I really want a kilm runner, can you show me one?

The boys throw various kilms. One stuns me. It is, yet again, the highest quality (meaning the highest price). I pretend I am not that interested in any of them. I hum...I ahhh.. while Axel converses.

Axel (in Arabic): You have to come down in price. If you give me something reasonable, I can work with my wife on this. It is almost my birthday and I think I can convince her if you go lower than that.

Dealer (in Arabic): Okay, I can give you the kilm and the Qum for *blank*.

Axel (in Arabic): I will talk to her. (In English) Terah, we need to talk.

As we talk I give all the signs that I am distraught, saying statements like, "We can't afford that!"; "That is the price of a small car!"; "That is a trip to Malta and Cypress"; "I would only be convinced if it was *blank*. Otherwise, give it a month, maybe you will come back. I don't even really like it."

Axel (in Arabic): You've got to help me. My wife said she will only do it if we get both the kilm and the Qum for *blank*. If you do it, I can buy the carpet right now. If not, I won't be able to come back until next month. By then, she will change her mind completely and not let me buy any carpet. PLEASE give it to me for *blank *. Please?

At that point, reluctantly, he agrees. The purchase is made and he drives us back to our hotel. The entire time I feel like I deserve an Academy Award for my performance. I wanted that carpet sooooo badly I could die. It was hard to show distain and play the opposing force, but if it saved us almost a thousand bucks, totally worth it.

Here are our prizes. The blue one is the coveted Qum. You can't see its glory quite yet. It deserves a blog all on its own. It is our 5th child. The rest are to be pooped and peed on, but the Qum will line my casket. I swear.












6 comments:

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boquinha said...

Awesome post! What do you do with all your carpets?? You buy them all over the place. Do you still have them all? Can you keep them as you move around? (I have a beef with one thing only on your blog -- I'm not just making idle conversation. I want answers to my questions!! :P).

Like on one of your other posts about your safari/hot air balloon ride? When I asked, "Does nothing scare you?" I *really* want to know!! I subscribe to your comments, so I'll get your answer when you post it. ;) :P Congrats on the carpets!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

what happened to my comment?! It says I removed it. I can't remember what I wrote before...hmmm...probably "awesome carpets" "I enjoy the runner a lot" "I know that isn't the proper name, but I'm ignorant in the world of carpets and probably paid WAY too much for the one I own and bought here and want to talk to you some more about this carpet hierarchy because I need at least 3 more carpets but am overwhelmed with my lack of knowledge and need a beginners introductory course" ok...I'm pretty sure I didn't write that before...it'll work though.

terahreu said...

Amber, what did happen to your comment? Weird. Strange things are happening in blogland.

Stacy- BUSTED. You are so right. I always mean to write a response, but then I move on to the next post and forget. Okay, I promise I will respond to all of your questions. It is a new resolution for me.

As for being scare, I am! Ironically, I am scared of heights and rats. I guess that is why I try to defeat my fears. I have worked on the heights one, but I will stick to hating rats. But if you paid me enough, I could try to work on that one too!

It is true, we have WAY too many carpets, several of them sit upstairs rolled up. I rotate them periodically just to switch things up. Plus we move enough that I can find new places to put them. It is a collection and hobby, not a necessity. I do have them all. They are an investment. I plan on keeping most of them until I die. You can also sell them back to carpet dealers and switch them for different styles. I am not ready to trade quite yet.

Megan said...

haha....if I were you I would want to be buried with that carpet as well!

Boquinha said...

Awesome resolution. I love it. Heights?! And you bungee jumped?!? Amazing. Heights are the one thing stopping me from running The Amazing Race. :P Thanks for the responses!!

As for the carpets, you guys could retire in style with a SWEET mansion overseas--every room having a carpet . . . a carpet with a story. Very cool.