Thursday, April 8, 2010

Up in Africa


My friend went to Kenya a year or so before we went and told me, 'If there is one thing you MUST do in Kenya, it is ride a balloon over the Mara'. I then asked her how much it cost and she said, 'It doesn't matter, I don't remember the money, but I will always remember the experience.' She was 100% right, except I remember the money. Kenya was amazing and a dream vacation in itself, but the ballooning was probably in the top 10 of the most memorable and significant experiences of my life.
4:30am and ready to go.

The excitement is mounting






We all agree that one of the best parts of the ballooning experience was watching my mom. Ever since I was little I knew that flying in a balloon was one of my mother's dreams. She would look into it periodically at the State Fair. I am so glad her experience was viewing the world over Africa, not a white trash carnival.


The best part was when we first saw the tree tops below us. It was magic.









Ostriches in a different view


Other lucky people




More ostriches. We saw elephants, cheetahs, crocodiles, wildebeasts, impalas, vultures and gazelles. Most of them were too far to photograph. It is one for the memory bank, and I will mentally revisit the experience when I strain to hear a bird in Doha.
Even the adults were like little children. 'I can't believe this!' Was a common statement we made throughout the entire flight. The sensation was unlike bungee jumping or skydiving. It didn't feel like we were falling, but instead 'gliding' through the air. It was the closest feeling I have had to true flying. It might just be my superpower of choice.




Elephant specs in the distance.
Vultures nesting


The sad part, releasing the air for landing.


Our trusty captain, Kim. He has piloted balloons in over 16 countries. He says flying over Angkor Wat was his favorite. Guess what is now on the top of my Bucket List?
He also allowed the kids to jump all over the deflated balloon. It was like a birthday party on steroids!

66 going on 8. This picture clearly captures the euphoria.
The end of the flight was celebrated with a champagne (for us, apple juice) breakfast in the savannah. They even had some men with binoculars looking out for lions and other predators, ensuring we weren't breakfast for any animals.

On our way out we did a mini safari back to the hotel. Can you spot the two baby crocodiles?
She was peeking her head over the hills. You'd think it would be a good indication that there were more hiding, but we almost ran over 15 other lions with our jeep.


Honestly, one of the most perfect days of my life.

Do it. You may remember the money, but you will remember the experience WAY more.



8 comments:

Dianna said...

That is just amazing! I'm so glad you did it too.

Boquinha said...

Does nothing scare you? Seriously, I want to know. GREAT post, Terah. So amazing.

mom said...

Terah

Your family made my dream come true

mom said...

I felt like I was floating on a cloud and get a tiny glimpse of what God sees as he looks down on his creation.

Thanks

Paige said...

Wow, this makes me want to go on a balloon next week when I'm in the dordogne. But don't you have 4 kids? Did a lion eat him? Did the monkey basher bash him? Poor little Asa. Probably stuck at home with his awesome nanny.

Megan said...

Soooooooooo there!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

I've always wanted to take one of those balloon ride castle tours in france or germany. A DREAM for me...this looks so much fun.

Stephanie said...

WOW....absolutely...wow!