Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bromley March/April Updates

My rhythm is off lately. After so much travel in March/April, I need to find my groove again. My blogging has suffered the most. I am having too much fun making the memories and not devoting enough time to recording the memories. So, for those who wonder if we are still stuck in Kenya, this is how the Bromleys have been kicking it lately:

1. Easter happened on Easter Monday this year because we arrived home from Kenya on Easter Day. This was MUCH to Heavah's dismay. Forget zebras and giraffes, 'Where's my candy?!' Although she enjoyed Kenya thoroughly, she was ticked that the Easter Bunnies delivered the goods to everyone else's home a day earlier. (She has identified the Easter bunny already. She is smart enough to figure out that there aren't too many magical bunnies in the world, but she is also smart enough to play the game or else that magical bunny might just skip her home on Easter)

The spread



2. Xavier's hair was starting to become unruly and I'd hate to think that people look at his hair and judge his behavior. It always seems that messy hair = naughty child. Spontaneously, I took out the clippers and scissors and gave him a David Beckham do, or at least that is what it is supposed to look like. While shaving, I was tempted to grab Sedona and start all over again. Is it strange she is almost 4 and has no hair? She grows her mullet just fine, but the top won't grow. I have honestly never cut her bangs before. No, seriously, since birth! Is there such thing as stunted hair growth? I am thinking the Sinead look might work for her, especially if it means it will come back normal. Any advice?



3. Maid drama has been happening in my circle of friends as of late. First, I have been connecting my friends with a few Nepalis for work. Nepali women maids are rare in Doha. It seems that they only accept Filipino and Indian, but the desire for Nepali women to work here is great. I have at least 7 different friends looking for maids right now. Finding maids in Doha is tough, not like in Dubai where they are everywhere. I felt like hooking up my friends with Nepalis was a win/win situation. In the process, we have been looking for a second maid. Just after we received approval for our second maid, the following obstacles have taken place for my friends:

a. One friend could not receive approval for a Nepali. Filipino, Indonesian, or Indian-yes. Nepali-no.

b. One friend was sponsoring a Filipino maid from the Philippines and she was denied entry because her maid had medical problems.

c. Another friend had to get rid of her maid because she was illegal.

d. One friend's maid ended up leaving on vacation for 5 weeks with very little warning.

How could I be excited when my second maid arrived when at least 4 of my other friends were without a maid? It really explains to you how Doha can be so unfair. One time it may work, and the next? Forget it. Slowly but surely these issues are being resolved, but there was a lot of chatting and discussing going on between friends on how we could optimize our maid situation. For now, my second maid is working part time for my friend. It works out well for me because it smoothly transitions Sarita with our new Nepali maid, Kamala. Currently, these issues are working out and in about a month, everyone will have their maid and happy day for everyone! Such situations could only happen overseas.

4. Consequently, another girlcation is on the horizon. Once everyone has their maid, we will be bound for Athens/Cypress/Tunisia/Nepal/Turkey. We have yet to decide which one, but Tunis and Kathmandu are in the lead. We have spent hours on the computer looking for activities, hotels, and airfare that will appeal to everyone. The idea is to leave before school is out in June, at that point, the smart ones will vacate the Middle East. I am not one of them.

5. Axel and I are off to Bahrain tomorrow morning for 4 days. Bahrain isn't a place to be overly excited about, but I plan on spending my days of solace with my computer. I intend to create several photobooks that should have been made years ago. I also intend on doing a little bit of blogging, that is, if I have anything more to say.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Sedona...what will happen is all the sudden it will grow in so fast and she will look like Rapunzel. Some day soon we will all have our maids and it will be a happy happy day! Have fun in Bahrain! I hear there is a water park there. ;) And I look forward to the next girlcation on the horizon!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

Girlcation can't come soon enough. I was just about to start doing some catchup posts myself. Baptism, Easter, April fools, throw some preschool in the mix. The maid stuff will all be over soon. Maybe.

Boquinha said...

I totally believe you that it must be stressful to not have a maid. I'm not one of those Americans that scoffs and judges. If anything, I think WE should have maids here, too! More jobs for others, more time for me to get to other things that so easily get neglected while still enjoying a clean house and meals (sometimes it seems like you choose either one -- either a clean house and nothing else done or tons done and a messy house). Anyway, can you explain to those of us who don't live there why maids are so essential? I imagine it's wonderful to have one. I had one in West Africa and it was a necessity to get anything else done since we had to be careful about our living conditions and food so that we wouldn't get cholera and other diseases. Tell us . . . what's it like to have one and what's it like when you don't have one? Thanks!

so jeles said...

Terah, my Amelia will be 6 in July. she has had 1 haircut since birth, i kid you not. The only thing that grows on her, is her bangs. she has baby fine wispy hair. My mother reminds me i was bald till 2 !