Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Forbidden City/Temple of Heaven


It is shameful that I am pooling these two marvelous, historical architectural wonders together, but I am sick of writing about China and I am sure you are sick of reading about it. Also, it sort of sums up our trip. There was a lot of enthusiasm at the beginning of our trip, but after miles of walking (and many of those miles were done in heels--Amber!) and going nonstop from the minute we arrived, our perseverance subsided and we observed our surroundings leisurely.

When you see the outside of the Forbidden City, you can't help but be in complete awe at the grandeur of the huge Imperial buildings. What is also impressive is the number of Chinese tourists that are wandering the grounds. They touch all the brass figures and huddle around all the windows and openings of the main buildings. For 500 years the Forbidden City served as the seat of government and was off-limits to ordinary Chinese citizens. It was like they were touching the bronze statues in honor of their ancestors who only heard of what was behind the tall brick walls.





The dragon and phoenix figures bring protection against lighting and fire.
The lace bark tree
ceiling of a gazebo
The empress' bedroom. This is where she committed suicide after she found out they had been defeated.

Various thrones:



The nine dragon wall:

To me, the buildings were great, but the people watching was even better:
Here are some samples of Chinese high fashion:
Temple of Heaven



I am dreaming up a plan to go back with Axel. I know he would groove the art and appreciate the culture. The trip was amazing and Amber and I have said over and over again we would go back in a minute. What would make it all the better is if we moved there. Maybe? Please?

7 comments:

Megan said...

How could we possibly be sick of reading about China? It just makes me feel like I really was there. :) The place looks amazing, and the fashion....uh...awesome! Can you say NYC Fashion Week? Kidding.

Ilaria said...

Living here in beijing is awesome...you should really find a way!


www.thekeoghfamilyadventures.com

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

well, I for one, think you have done a great job of blogging about our trip! I haven't gotten a single post completed. I think mostly because I have started about 6 now and they are all partially done and then I check yours and cross reference that I wrote pretty much the same thing EXCEPT yours are better. sigh. Then I'm demotivated. Great job!

Dianna said...

I wonder how that Chinese lady got the exact same outfit I am wearing today! It is always nice to get my good taste validated. :) Great posts on China.

Robin said...

We missed each other by one day. I was there on the 8th. It was pretty amazing. I would love to go back!

Robin said...

So, I just got back from Beijing 2 days ago and had so much fun reading your travel posts. I am friends with Paige. Anyways - you did a great job of covering Beijing both on your trip and on your blog! I hope to get it up on my blog soon.

Wendi and Eric said...

Loved your photos of China!

We really wanted to visit China this summer but instead we are stuck in Saigon for three months because I am very pregnant. My Doctor has limited my traveling. She's such a party pooper. Glad you got to partake!