Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Arrived

The KTM airport. Sadly, none of those bags were mine.

Nepalcation officially began when we met Amber at the Dubai airport. She flew all the way from Rotterdam to cavort with us through Nepal. It was SO good to see her and it set the bar for the rest of us on how far we would travel for a good girlcation. No distance is too far.

Upon our arrival, my first experience back 'home' was the loss of my luggage. My bag never made it. The loss of my possessions was the least of my worry. My guard, Gotham, who worked on painting our home in Qatar for several days earned an extra sum of money to buy gifts for his family. He sent an expensive new phone and beautiful sarees for his wife. All of these items were lost and have yet to be found. Going commando and borrowing clothing from my friends was nothing in comparison. I am still actively working on getting it back.

Devendra staging a very typical international pose. Never look at the camera, and whatever you do, never, never smile.

When we got out of the airport, Devendra was there ready and waiting. I can't tell you how great it was to squeeze that little man! I love him so much and it was like no time had passed. He gave us a beautiful marigold garland and took us straight to my old van. It was like I was coming home.

Amber brought us the most delicious gifts. The stroopwaffels and dried fruit crackers sustained us during those hard-to-find-a-sanitary restaurant excursions through town. Pixie stick hand outs also made us popular with the little street kids.

We stayed at the Crown Plaza hotel--the same place I worked out everyday during the time I lived there. I remembered most of the bellmen and everything was too familiar. Even the first restaurant we ate at was one of my favorite Chinese restaurants that Axel and I used to visit often during our date nights. The waiters remembered me and everything was just the same as I had left it.

This trip was oh so much fun, but also oh so difficult. I rode an emotional roller coaster the entire time. Lots of photos and lots of stories to come....

2 comments:

Dianna said...

I can't wait to hear about the roller coaster adventure. That is so sad about your suitcase, especially considering it had presents for your friend's family in there! It sounds like you rolled with the punches though. Your ability to do that is inspiring.

Megan said...

You guys look awesome! I am DYING to hear more!!! Hurry and blog! :)