
The color assortment for Tihar.

The idea of visiting Nepal lingered for a while. I insisted on going during this time of year for two reasons: 1. The weather would be exceptional; 2. Dipawali/Tihar would be incredibly colorful. Luckily, it was just like I remembered it. Plus, everything looked extra bright after coming from dismal Qatar. It was a fanfare of bright flowers, vibrant colored powders, and lively fireworks. It did not disappoint.

Afton just so happened to be reading Eat, Pray, Love while we were in Nepal. I am not really a fan of the book, but the idea of summing up a city with one word really appealed to me. After being to so many countries and so many cities, there really is a vibe to each one. Some speak to me, some don't. Over a Nepali meal we all discussed the word for Qatar. Sadly, 'dry' was the most apropos word to describe Doha (in all its literal meanings). Conversely, I proposed that 'life' describes Kathmandu, and all of Nepal for that matter. It is a place for living. The colors denote life, the land and soil easily creates life, and the spirit of the country inspires rich living. When I returned, I felt alive again.
5 comments:
The colors are electric -- beautiful.
Wow! Greetings from Germany, Nepal in the heart ;-)
LOVEEEEEE all the colors!!!!
I just love your pictures Terah. You're a great photographer!
Beautiful! I think "color" would be a good word for Nepal. I feel like I crave it after living in Doha.
Post a Comment