Monday, November 29, 2010

Spanish Art


One thing you can't help but notice when you are in Spain is their style. Some countries have it and others don't. Spain invented style in my books. I love their eclectic use of color and lines. Zara Home and Desigual just happen to be my favorite stores. Spanish style is sensual and unique. I can't get enough of the bold colors and unconventional designs. It resonates with me.
The first morning in Barcelona, Axel and I headed to the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya. The building alone was so aesthetically pleasing and even the ceilings were intricate and bright:

We would spend several minutes just staring at one painting examining the theme, color, and texture. We discussed the feelings each painting evoked and our discussions were lively and exciting. The act of appreciating art is novel for us right now. We are deprived in the middle east. Very, very deprived.
Axel and I didn't always agree about what made a painting beautiful. The two paintings below divided us. He loved the one on the left, and I loved, loved, loved the one on the right. I can't get over those clouds. I'm right, he's wrong.


A Coco Chanel dress that just happened to be at the museum. Oh, if I only had a red carpet event to attend...
The colors (above) and the lighting (below) make me happy.

I love me some lithographs.

The Romanesque exhibit was the largest exhibit at the MNAC. A must for a country where the Roman Catholic religion is the majority. It all looks the same to me and most of it lacks feeling. The only one that spoke to me was this one:

A Dali. No melty clocks, just stinky feet.

Barcelona has some amazing collections. How could it not when Picasso, Dali, Miro, and Gaudi all call Spain home? We acutally had a lot of fun visiting the Miro museum. Imagine being so good that you have a huge, white building devoted to your work? Impressive. Not as impressive as his art, but impressive.

One of his first paintings
.
I just love how this painting coordinates with my necklace. Nothing more


This rug was over 25 feet tall. It took the shag carpet to a whole new level.
Miro is big on Phallic symbols. It was hard not to notice all the reproductive parts in his paintings. Every piece had at least one. It was like a 'Where's Waldo' picture.


Again: Necklace + Miro painting = very cool
He made this painting to solely compliment my wardrobe

It was a little depressing leaving Barcelona knowing that we would be going back to the cultural and artistic drought that is Doha. Although it exists, it is rare and selective. Spain whet our appetite for better things to come. Drown me in culture, splash we with color and inspire me with emotion. Life is too short to miss it.

3 comments:

Linsey said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

diplobrisco said...

I vote for the cloud picture, totally!! I also vote that you have great taste in clothes!! Can I just copy everything you do?? :D

terahreu said...

Linsey- Thanks so much for all your comments!

Steph - You can totally copy me but you would have to live in a desert and deal with arrogant drivers. It is a trade off.