Monday, October 27, 2008

Dog Puja

x10

Yesterday was the crow puja. It means that the Nepalese people honour the crow. We threw a bunch of old cake on the top of our garage to worship the billion Nepali crows. It was pretty anticlimactic. Plus, I think they were more happy to go down the road and feast on all of the garbage.

However, today, was the dog puja. When I first heard about the dog puja I thought we might just be lucky enough to see the sacrifice of some Nepali dogs. How beneficial that would have been. But alas, instead it was simply a day to worship the dog. Lucky enough, Shylock benefited from this pre-Tihar festival day. It was probably the most appreciation he has seen since the birth of Heavah.

I really have no words...

x1 Bringing Shylock to get Tikaed (is that word?)

x2

x3

Raining blessings of table scraps and butt smelling...

x5

x6

Shylock a little creeped out and totally rejecting the leftover chicken and dahl dinner offering...

x9

Maybe all this recognition will make him want to stop pooping on my carpet.

One can only hope.

4 comments:

Ash said...

I am a Nepalese living in and around NYC, came across your blog searching for "Dog Puja". Absolutely enjoying every bit of it :).

Boquinha said...

I love Shylock. He is seriously *THE* dog who has made me consider liking dogs and maybe even getting one . . . IF the dog looks like Shylock, that is.

Jenibelle said...

Nope. He thinks he poops rose petals now because of all the attention. You should have thought that Puja through.

Anonymous said...

This is AWESOME!!! I'm so glad that you posted pics of Shylock. My kids still remember him and talk about him. Even though a pet is far from our minds, if we ever verntured down that road, we would look for a dog just like Shylock.