Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Halloween/Birthday Party

While living in Dubai, I never put on a birthday party for my kids because unless you were ready to invest thousands for a 3 year old's party, don't bother. I was annoyed by that because I really value a good homemade party with all its flaws. I find it more fun, more entertaining. You know, instead of the yacht club with hors d'oeuvres more like the back yard, borrowed church chairs and double dipped salsa.

What also swayed me away from ever really celebrating my kid's birthday was the fact that most people in the UAE believe Halloween is evil (What??? Vampires and ghosts are evil?). I get that it is a slightly twisted holiday, but Halloween to me, was one of the happiest part of my childhood. Come on, candy, staying up late, sneaking a peek into your neighbour's houses, and wearing make up, what is not to love?

So, to compensate for the two years that my kids did not have a party, I went all out this year. Here is the run down...

In the backyard...

x7

37 kids from 17 different countries (that I could count)...

x9

Played 'Pin the Tika on the Witch'...

x4

x6

Attempted musical chairs until the music didn't work...

x2 This was the calmest I saw them the entire afternoon

All got their faces panted by a strange bald man...

x3

Sugared up from the ghost piƱata...

x11

And added more sugar with the ghost cake decorating...

x8

Then found some more candy on the candy hunt...

x10

And went home with a bag full of candy...

x1

Treats in our 'special brown bags' brought from America.

These cannot be found in Dubai or Nepal. Gold, I tell you.

And who says you need to spend thousands? A good sugar high, some carefree running, and they will all leave smil'n!

5 comments:

Summer said...

I have a stack of paper bags that I am willing to trade for gold!

I need the gold more!

Paige said...

What a great homemade party! Do you know in the US we also have those bags in WHITE?

Jenibelle said...

You don't have bags in Tibet? It's just something you don't think about, of course there are paper bags in EVERY country! Sorry, cute party but I got sidetracked by the lack of bags.

Boquinha said...

Cute party, Terah! You'd be a hit on Main Street, too. ;)

Wendi and Eric said...

I love Dona's Tutu!