Chances are if you visited Nepal, Thamel was the place you considered to be Kathmandu. It is a shame because there are so many awesome places to see outside of Thamel, but the Thamel district really pulls in the tourists.
There is a certain appeal about Thamel because it has such a unique mix of book stores, hemp clothing shops, international restaurants, mountain climbing gear (like North Face, etc.) boutiques, pirated CD and movie shops, and specialized Tibetian art and furniture. It truly is an awesome place to shop and since I don't have a real mall here, I will take what I can get.
Heavah and Xavier perusing the second-hand bookshop
I always enjoy going to Thamel as a resident of this great country cause it is so fun to see the categories of tourists that visit Nepal. It is kind of sad that the Nepalese people use the American tourists as a frame of reference cause it seems that no one 'normal' ever really comes here to visit.
Here are some examples...
(Bear with me, I took these pictures on the sly)
This dude to the left must be a climber. He has the profile: middle aged, short hair, neutral clothing, and a backpack. It costs at least 60 grand to climb Everest so guys like these have to have some cash. You never see 20 somethings looking like this here unless mommy and daddy are really generous, they just can't afford to come.
The couple to the right are definitely tourists here to find their granola roots. They are EVERYWHERE in Thamel. They come here to wear really grubby clothing, smoke some weed, and pretend to have a 'spiritual awakening'.
This guy confirms everything I mentioned before. He might be climbing with the guy in the first photo, except this guy looks like he might be fronting more cash.
The Asians also groove this place. They show up with their 'Hello Kitty' bags and fanny packs and they buy more stuff than anyone. They also get more suckered by the locals for goods.
I am not sure whether this is a man or woman, but he or she is sporting the typical Thamel look--big time. Linen or hemp clothing, Tevas, short hair do and ready to listen to Enya. She/he is a classic.
A typical spiritual healer who smokes more weed than Bob Marley did.
To the right you will see a couple that seems more normal than not. That is a dead give away that they work for a humanitarian organization here. However the chick to the right of them is definitely a deadhead follower. The hair, the Tevas and the filled hammock sack shows she is feel'n the Nepali love. Maybe the spiritual healer to the right of the picture just got to her (for a small fee, I am sure).
Finally, the Thamel hussies. They, too, are here for some spiritual guidance but they are also here to party as well. They are usually from Europe and own more tank tops than Oprah has shoes.
Unfortunately, the tourists aren't the only freak show in Thamel. You can also see plenty of kids sniffing glue right in front of you, drug dealers selling in the name of 'Tiger Balm', and real-live leapers. It breaks your heart that they are begging from unemployed American granolas cause they have 100 times the earnings these guys will ever see in their lifetime.
In the end, the shopping is the biggest draw of Thamel. Where else could you buy a Buddha head and crocs at the same place?
Only in Nepal.
6 comments:
I'm laughing out loud as I read this. What am amazing experience you are having there. Very cool. Have you found your granola roots yet???
Hum, I wonder what category i would fall under in that crowd.
Hilarious.
Terah, could you please clarify this line:
"It breaks your heart that they are begging from unemployed American granolas cause they have 100 times the earnings these guys will ever see in their lifetime."
Who has 100 times the earnings? The reason I ask is that one of my colleagues from Australia holidays in India and has learned a bit about the culture of begging and says that many people who beg in India are very, very wealthy. I'm wondering what you think. Do you agree with that assessment? Is it like that there?
I just stumbled across your blog and I am. . . fascinated to say the least! What a refreshing perspective of life, parenthood, religion, and the mishaps of being lost in translation.
Best of luck to you and your sweet family as you experience this adventure. May God bless you! I hope it's okay I stumbled upon you, I might have to check in again sometime :).
I love your assessment. i'd like to travel with you everywhere and sit on a street corner for your evaluation. I did not know it was 60 grand to climb. Sounds like something Jeff will be doing in about 10 years. Annoying.
Stacy,
No, actually they are the real deal here. India is a little different. Have you read the book 'Shantaram'? That is a good assessment of what happens there. Also, on my mission in Romania, the gypsy parents would often maim their kids to get more money. Sad. Really sad.
Post a Comment