Tuesday, October 7, 2008

'Hunting' with Xay

This is Axel again. One of the real downsides of living overseas is there is no real hunting. Either you live in Africa or you don't hunt. Honestly the US and Canada are the last true places where hunting actually can happen. NOT Nepal.

So being a Bromley and wanting to introduce my son Xay (4) the finer points of hunting, I decided to get a mountain sheep as they are being sold here for the Dashain festival. I went to the market a few days before and selected the biggest one with good horns.

x12

Don't feel bad. ALL of these sheep are going to be sacrificed to the Goddess Durga in the coming days. I was just going to do ours in another manner...

I had my Gardner take the sheep to his house the day before and drove up there with Xay to go 'hunting'. You can't use guns here so we had to use a spear gun I used to go spear fishing in Dubai.

I went into the forest near his house and tied the animal to a tree by the horns and then went back and got Xay. We 'snuck' into the forest and when he heard it we crept up on it like Indians. Or Nepalis I guess...

x1

'Sneaking' up on the 'wild' mountain sheep...

We got close to it and I helped him aim the spear gun as it is pretty powerful for the little guy to shoot.

x2

Aiming together

And the first shot was a hit! The spear went through his back probably piercing the animal's lungs.

x3

Good Shot Xay! Nice hit!!! He is pretty excited right about now. Xay that is, not the sheep... You can see the spear coming out left side.

Then I quickly ran down and finished off the ram with a knife my brother Jake made for me years ago. Cutting the jugular vein puts the animal out pretty quickly.

x4

One knife cut for the rope and one for the neck. Total time from when it got hit to when it died was about four minutes.

x6

Xay was pretty dang excited! He wasn't put off by all the blood either. I was proud of him.

x7

You can see how happy the little guy is. He is REALLY proud of himself here.

So then after killing it and getting it up the hill all the on lookers came over to help us get it back to the car. x8

Ramesh, my Gardner is the one looking back. I forget how big I am around these people until I see pictures.

x9

Walking down to the car. Xay was talking up a storm.

So after the animal was in the car, Ramesh wanted us to eat lunch at his house so we did. We had been there before. Still it is always a trip to see how they live. Kitchen and cows (behind them) in the downstairs and they sleep (all of them) upstairs. Dirt floors and flies galore.

x10

Us having a post hunt meal of rice and dall.

x11

Ramesh's family. The wife is younger than I am.

x13

'Xavier Bromley, I can't believe you got such a big sheep! How did you shoot it?' Mom adding some excitement.

Then we got home and Terah's Young Women's sleep over activity was still on going. Xay was triumphant in retelling the story of what happened to Heavah and mom and all the girls.

On the way back I bought one of the medical plastic bodies that show the insides of the human body. You can see the plastic organs next to the real ones on the blue plastic.

x16

Xay holding the head while I gut the body

x15

Young Women's activities Nepali (or Bromley) style.

x14

The heart really is the best part. One plastic, one real. Showing the chambers. We ate it that night. Xay kept saying 'let me hold that part dad, I am not grossed out!'. And he wasn't.

So all and all it was a good day. We got to have a great father-son outing. He got to have his first kill and we got some meat, a fleece (if I can figure out how to tan it) and Xay will hang the skull and horns in his room once the flies and maggots pick it clean and I bleach it. It was a pretty good day.

x1

6 comments:

Cami Severson said...

Haha. Uh..Good job, Xay. Wow, I am impressed with the little guy's constitution. Not the same reaction, I had, when I made my first "kill", and I was 8 and with my friend's family. We were out in the woods hunting deer, and my friends brother said "Here Cami, your turn to shoot a deer" "Okay" I say. I aim and shoot the deer right through the head, (lucky shot) and kill it. (I am positive they were not expecting that.) I stand there horrified as I watch the animal die. What have I done?! That was awful, I think, why did I do that? Tears start to come, but I hold them back. But, then the worst is yet to come. "Because you shot the deer, you clean it and skin it, it is yours" says the brother, like he was rewarding me for my good job. I look at him, aghast. But, no.... he is dead serious. Doing the job,I made about every mistake you can make. I cut open the stomach *gag*, didn't do it in the right order, and spent the rest of the day cleaning and skinning. It was a bit much for this 8 year old little girl. When dinner came and we were eating the liver and heart, it was just too much, and I went hungry. It took years for my mom to get me to eat deer meat again. Just wasn't having it, the stench and gore of the dead animal was all I could think of, whenever I was presented with such an offering.

Tami said...

Xavier may love it, but check out the baby's face in that last photo! ha ha

Sally said...

I find this totally fascinating. I grew up with a dad that hunted and I went duck hunting with him, but I don't think that many people hunt and I bet some of your readers are in shock right now!

I love how you are such a well-rounded family. It's amazing and rare.

McMornMum said...

Good on Xavier, he looks soooo excited and Sedonna looks either incredibly fascinated or shocked. Maybes she's impatient for her turn.
Being Brits, we only hunt in the forests of Carrefour, Walmart and Geant.

Boquinha said...

Okay, so I want to know how you store the meat if your elecricity goes out so often. Do you have freezers?

Summer said...

I would be in the shocked category of readers. As a confirmed vegetarian, it was a bit much for me.
I am amazed by your children's matter of fact attitude.