Monday, June 16, 2008

Kathmandu K-9s

I just read that there is a new outbreak of TB on the eastern side of Kathmandu. Hard to believe, and a little scary. Almost as scary as the dogs in this city. Apparently, before the Maoists took office, security was a big issue (not that it still isn’t, just now the rebels are running the government, comforting, I know). As a result, every Arun, Rajev, and Ramus had a dog. Since it has calmed down, many of the Nepalese people have freed their once ferocious beast onto the city streets. They are EVERYWHERE and they scavenge every garbage pile they can find. They are so frightening because their disease just stares at you straight in the face whenever you encounter one.

Here are some visuals for you...









Hey, I am a dog lover but it is hard to even put these guys in the same genetic pool as my little Yorkie (who is probably the most pampered dog in all of Kathmandu). In fact, Yorkies were bred to catch rats but Shylock can't even take on the cockroaches they have here.


3 comments:

Heather said...

Terah, I just skimmed your ENTIRE BLOG. You have had some really cool/crazy experiences!

I was just in Brantford for church on Father's Day & your mom taught R.S. I love her! The lesson was great, & so is she.

Boquinha said...

Shylock! So good to see Shylock . . . :) Scary about the TB stuff, though.

Here at home said...

I thought Russia was bad. This is much worse. They had a lot of diseased mongrels roaming the streets there. I don't remember seeing cows, though. We were always shy about eating meat because we could never be sure what animal we were being served.