
If it wasn't for my kids bringing me a card for their dad for Father's Day, I would have totally forgotten all about this most special day. I'm so glad they did cause no one deserves a little recognition like my dad.
Here are just a very small sample of why I adore my dad...

Sedona's Blessing
1. He never takes himself too seriously - My dad is always up for a good laugh. I have so many memories of my dad pulling a prank of some kind. Whether it is as extreme as doing a fake drug bust on a new missionary in the ward, or as simple as pulling his shirt through his fly just to see people's reactions, he is never embarrassed or afraid to shock others. It didn't help as a shy child to have my dad find ways of making me blush. But now that I am older, I am thankful for the fun times he forced on me cause now I can laugh off situations that otherwise would kill me with embarrassment.

One of the billion tickles my dad has given me as a child
2. He is fearless - I can't recall a time when I saw my dad scared. He has been put in some pretty freaky situations and yet, he is always cool and calm. I remember when my mom said, 'Your dad is in prison for a while.' He went undercover as a murderer to gain some inside information. I remember my dad coming home from being gone (for I don't know how long) and he was the same old guy, not shaken for a moment. I also remember the time some rough character was following my dad's car after he picked me up from school. He drove all over trying to make sure this guy didn't know where we lived. And there he was, just chatting with me about my day, life as usual. I never knew of all the scary situations my dad had been in because he maintained such normalcy in the home. It wasn't until after, when he was relaxed, talking with friends that the true stories came out. I always LOVED overhearing my dad talk about those stories because otherwise, I would have thought my family life as pretty boring.

With a Buddhist prayer wheel in the Himalayan mountains
3. He is willing to take big risks for some fun - I am sure after reading my blog, you can see why my parents have been married for 45 plus years, they share a lot in common. Mainly, they share is a great zest for life and unusual experiences. My dad has always been willing to go anywhere and do almost anything, especially if there is some danger in the mix. Every time Axel and I wonder where we will move next, we know the more dangerous or newsworthy the country is, the more willing my dad is to come. He has been in the Israeli army, to a South African prison, and the border of Iraq just last year. I am so thankful that Nepal is a hot spot right now because it gives my dad more of an incentive to visit.

At the Dubai Museum
4. He is dedicated and trustworthy – If my dad says he will do it, you can bet it will get done. It doesn’t matter if it is 9 years as bishop or as a Boy Scout Leader. He is always there to not only do the job, but do it really, really well. During all my years growing up, I knew when my dad had a talk to give or a lesson to teach because he would lock himself in a room for hours researching and praying over whatever he was doing. It taught me great discipline and dedication to what I am doing. Even the smallest assignment causes my dad to put forth great effort and thought. Trust me, if you leave a telephone message with my dad to have me call you back, he will remind me so many times that I will call you back just so he will leave me alone. But I think the biggest sign of dedication is his love to my mother. My father's love and devotion seems to grow each year they are married. I can only hope I can do the same.

In the Palmyra Pageant
5. He is the cleanest man I know – I know when my dad comes to visit because the kids diapers are always changed the second their dirty and the trash can never quite makes it to the top. He is such a clean freak that he knows every dumpster in Brantford just so he can dispose of his garbage on a daily basis instead of waiting for the weekly trash pick up. Any time he is out and about, he plans his route according to where he can drop off his garbage. It definitely borderlines obsessive compulsive! My maid is never quite sure what to do around my dad because he is always one step ahead of her. Also, oddly, a lot of my memories were of my dad washing dishes and folding laundry.

Making a friend
6. He deeply loves his children and grandchildren – I never once wondered where I stood with my dad. I always knew he loved me and thought I was great. I know he feels that way about all of his kids, their spouses, and grandkids. He is always interested in what we are up to and how we are doing. My dad is my most devoted reader of my blog and if that wasn’t enough, he always sends me a daily email telling me what he thought of the blog and asking how I am doing. I have a countless number of letters from my dad from when I was on my mission, in collage, and 'just cause'.

On the job
7. He is humble – As cool as my dad is, he doesn’t show it in the least. He has done so many extraordinary things and seen so many unusual places (Tonga, Mozambique, Israel, South Africa, Namibia, Kuwait, Luxembourg, France, Italy, Hungary, Oman, Croatia, Bosnia- to only name a few) but when you chat with him, he is so down to earth and not pretentious in the least. My dad accepts anyone and everyone and never seems to think he is any better. That is why he needs me around so I can brag, brag, and brag.

The puffer
8. He is musically talented – As much as my dad would deny it, he has got some great rhythm. He loves music and some of my favourite teenage memories are of my dad driving me to seminary with the music blasting. He would pound his hand on the steering wheel to the rhythm of the song (specifically Fleetwood Mac). Whether it is a 60’s bebop song or a top 40, my dad knows every word. I love that about my dad and I am so thankful I got a little bit of love for the booty shak’n myself!

Spear'n
9. He always trusts me – My dad always emphasized certain things throughout my life (for example, ‘Life is not fair’). Many times, they were not the things I wanted to hear, but true nonetheless. But despite his general words of wisdom, my dad never really gave me advice, which often made me mad. I always expected my dad to tell me what to do and he never once did. Even when he knew I was about to do something that maybe he wouldn’t approve of, I knew he always expected me to make the right choices despite my rebellious heart. The cool thing was I knew that my dad trusted me and because of that, I did not want to disappoint him. It instilled a great confidence within me that made me the independent soul that I am today.

In Oman
10. He doesn’t just look young, he is young at heart too – Some people in this world just have 'it' and some don’t. I am here to tell you that my dad has the cool factor. He always knows the latest and greatest. He is always there to chat with about current news events and what so and so was wearing at the Oscars. That is why he was such a great bishop. Not one person could say, ‘You just don’t understand what it is like, Bishop’ because most likely, my dad was at a nighclub the night before teaching undercover cops how to buy drugs. He knows what it is all about, the good, the bad, and the ugly. And what is more amazing is he can hang with any crowd and yet never compromise his beliefs. How he does it, I don’t know. But honestly, my dad (who is 65 years old plus) is the hippest senior I know. On top of that, he looks like he is at least 20 years younger than he is. We joke that my dad is made of plastic cause he never ages. He barely has a grey hair on his head and he has been able to keep his baby face into his sixties! How he does it, baffles us all.

Spearing fish from the Gulf
Sadly, I have only scratched the surface and feel my literary ability (or lack thereof) does not do my dad justice. But in the end, I know my dad knows how I feel about him. He rocks! If you know him, I know you will agree. I am the luckiest daughter in the world, and I know it.

Doing yoga in India
2 comments:
What an nice post, Terah! And I love the pictures!! I especially love the Yoga one.
I can attest to the hip factor since the Camilleris have been to some of our parties and haven't ever hesitated AT ALL to jump in and play a game or act something out even if would make someone look silly/foolish/crazy. They didn't care!
Age hasn't ever played a factor (as it should be)--they simply ARE and you feel like you're hanging out with a great group of friends and don't even notice that, wait a minute, they're Terah's parents! :P
I just happened upon this blog I don't even know how, but I love this post I just had to comment. It sounds like such an exciting life. I always thought I would love to travel the world and live in different places. Your dad sounds amazing.
Post a Comment