There are a couple of different airlines that fly there, but all of them use planes like this:
They all have one seat on either side of the aisle. These are also the same planes I took when I went to Biratnagar and Bitwul.
It makes you feel like you are back in the 50's and you really are Indian Jones taking one of the planes with the big red line drawing a picture on a map in the sky to show where you are going.
Unfortunately it was pretty cloudy. The best time of year to go is in November, but my friend might not be back for a while, so we went now.
Then all of the sudden out of the clouds there they were. The largest mountain range in the world with Everest right in the middle:
I have to admit that it was pretty breathtaking to see. To know that not ony was this the highest mountain in the world, but it was this high above the clouds. And to think that somewhere on that freezing hunk of ice and rock with no O2 there was some guy in climbing gear trying to make it to the top. We were flying exactly the same level as the top of the mountain and it took us 20 minutes of going up to get there in a plane.
There are lots of things I have on my life-list; killing a shark with a speargun, killing a feral pig with my brother Jake using only spears he is going to make just for that, collecting panther chameleons in Madagascar, bow hunting a Kudu in Namibia and collecting a gala from Australia.
Tempting God by climbing Everest is NOT on that list...
5 comments:
I have to say I'm surprised. There is actually something many people label as "crazy" that you're not willing to do? I'm shocked! :P
Awesome pictures--what a cool experience!
My last comment had a spelling error, so I deleted it, but I didn't know it would call me out on it. So, my post, with corrected spelling:
That plane is actually similar to what David flies between Bar Harbor and Boston - a 19-seat Turbo Prop (Raytheon made), where "every seat is a window seat and an aisle seat."
His dad was a civil engineer and worked wherever he got a contract, so consequently, they lived in Nepal, Bangladesh, and Egypt, in addition to a myriad of US cities. His mom came back to the US to have him, then took him back as a month-old baby to the rest of the fam in Nepal.
I can't guarantee speed or great results, but I'll take orders if you've got an idea for something. =)
It's good to know you have limits to your adventurous spirit, Axel. Although, Terah's dad might be a bit disappointed--I'm sure a death march to the top of the mountain is on the short list of crazy things to enhance bonding with your son-in-law.
So did you seriously fly Buddha Air, or is something else behind your head there?
God you wish to hunt and kill animals??
I find that not a good idea.
Post a Comment