Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Slice of Americana Please

Living overseas has some amazing benefits and the longer I am away from western living, the less I miss it. It is surprising to me how I can almost detach myself from all that is going on in my home countries (Canada and America). However, there is the odd time I will get a wave of sadness come over me because my heart aches from some Americana. Here are the things (other than the obvious-friends and family) that I miss the most about living in the grand old country of the US of A...

1. Recent TV series - Although we can get satellite TV, we have chosen not to since we moved to Nepal. It just isn't the same as back home. You know, the anticipation of Thursday coming because at 8:00 you are going to find out what is really lurking on that island with the 6 toed statue. There are a few I especially miss. House, American Idol and Office to name a few. I still don't know if Jim hooked up with Pam, or what David Cook's voice even sounds like. Furthermore, what has been the most recent insult by House? Or why 30 Rock is just so cool? If you have any of these answers, please share. I am dying to know...


2. American breakfasts from a cheap diner - There is nothing like a nice plate of pancakes, eggs and greasy bacon. No place in the world can replicate it, especially for the Denny's price. I completely miss the 3000 calorie breakfast.


3. Knowing the American latest and greatest gossip - Even though news travels fast we always seem to get an international twist on American hot topics. Despite trying to keep up with the local newspapers and Internet gossip it always seems to be the filtered version. Like all I really know about 'Brangelina' is that they purchased a multimillion dollar plot of land on the new 'World Island' in Dubai to bring awareness to Ethiopia's poverty. I know more about the Maoist ideology than what Barrack Obama stands for these days. And finally, ask me what Shahrukh Khan (a Bollywood heartthrob) is up to these days and I could tell you way faster than what Brittany Spears latest fit was all about.

Shahrukh Khan



4. Cute clothing for kids and myself - I have slightly given up these days when it comes to fashion (if you haven't noticed from my pictures). Nobody here seems to care so why should I??? I must admit, I look at my Gymboree and Janie and Jack online the odd time just to drool a bit, but I can't be bothered to have a package sent half way across the world just to get destroyed. At this point there is no need to keep up with the Shrestas and I will embrace the local hippy style. Why not?


5. Target, Target, Target - Where else in the world can you buy a wrench and a cute skirt all at the same time? I used to go to Target just to wander the aisles exploring all the possibilities. It never disappoints. It was my favorite place to go for gifts, food, paper products, toys...everything. The only thing I don't miss is the guaranteed $200+ tag at the checkout.

7 comments:

Jenny L said...

OMG The Office! Jim and Pam ARE together! Season 4 ended with Jim about to propose to Pam, after they'd been dating a year. We're left in limbo for what's going to happen next. Seriously - it was a great season, despite being shortened by the writers strike. I love your blog - and now you're even cooler (if that's possible!) because you like The Office! :)

Dr. Mark said...

Judging by your last post about #3 you're getting the same effect in Nepal you'd get from the 3000 calorie breakfast in the States.

Boquinha said...

OMG The Office! (I'm not stealing Jenny's line--that is exactly how I was going to start my comment, too). It was SUCH A FREAKING AWESOME season finale. You MUST MUST MUST see it. It's online, you know . . .

Nortorious said...

You need a little bit of www.perezhilton.com (it can be crude, but always up to date and accurate for celebrity news.)
When we lived abroad we missed Taco Bell and Target most. One time we missed waffles so we took a train to Belgium for the real thing.

terahreu said...

Thanks so much you guys! I tried to do he TV online thing but with the crappy connection it takes WAY too long to stream. Grrr...

Jenny, I can't believe Jim proposed! I have got to get my hands on the 4th season.

Finally, Axel really misses Taco Bell too. For me, Taco Bell only means one thing #3...

Boquinha said...

And yet if it's possible, the Kevin storyline takes the cake in the season finale. Jim *almost* proposed. Oh, it's so good. You must must see it! (It's "Must See TV" in case you're out of the loop on NBC's Thursday night slogan). :P

And Scrubs is over! The finale was sort of weird. But that series is great.

Taku, Beverly, Kanae and Makoto said...

Having been abroad for almost 10 years I totally get this post about the itch for a little popular culture. We try to spoil ourselves once in a while with a TV series on DVD which is a real treat. I miss being able to watch non-blockbuster movies, or even knowing what movies are out. Anyway, I'll have to look into Office now...

Oh and thanks for the link on your page. I'll try to add yours on my page too...